Thursday, April 1, 2021

Sometimes Into Each Life Meatloaf Does NOT Fall

 Like many, I have settled into some quirky plague routines. One weekly event I VERY much look forward to is my Friday night cocktail parties on Zoom -- with Barry and his boys, Eric and Dana, and Kenny and sometimes Joelle. We appear in various permutations, and always share some laughs and stories about life in these strange times.

Often we eat while Zooming. Eric and Dana whip up some gourmet fare. Donna either brings in some good looking food, or cooks for herself, Barry, and Josh. And Scott and his lady Sam tend to eat healthy.

I weekly get from Publix InstaCart some meatloaf. It comes prepared in a tin, and I pop it into the oven for an hour, and it's delicious. Wifey isn't a big fan, but by the following day, as lunch, the meatloaf is gone. I also make some pasta to go with hit. I have simple tastes -- fettucine and meatloaf -- without any sauce. I eat like a college kid many times.

Well, this week we changed up the routine a bit. Wifey ordered from Amazon Prime, which uses Whole Foods. She got meat loaf, but it was prepared -- not nearly as good. So today I thought -- ok -- I'll do my Publix order -- get some staples and my Friday night meatloaf.

But then first world tragedy struck. They're OUT. I told Wifey this awful, terrible news. I used those words, since I always make fun of her hyperbole when things go wrong. "I HATE it when the show isn't on when they say." "Hate?" I ask. Like one HATES Nazis? So today I used a series of overly dramatic, over the top words to describe my meat loaf-less Friday a-coming.

Hopefully it's a sign that the pandemic is indeed ending. I will happily switch my Friday routine to live restaurant eating -- hopefully with my dudes. We'll see.

Another routine is the every other visit on Thursdays of D2 and her enormous puppy. We've taken to sharing Miriam, our cleaning lady, and when she cleans D2 an Jonathan's place in the Grove, D2 decamps here, and sets up her office in our dining room. I get an order for Daddy eggs afternoon, and then, later on, we bring in Uber Eats for dinner. We eat together and then she brings home dinner for Jonathan.

Alas, tonight, the now twice jabbed kids have dinner plans with friends. So maybe I'll switch the Uber order in to tomorrow night. I get a monthly $15 credit from Amex, and always use it early in the month lest I forget and it goes to waste.

Such are the issues of those of us lucky, relatively, during the plague.

So -- no meatloaf for me tomorrow night. That's ok. Big Man willing, my family and friends stay well. I'll make due with something else instead.

No comments: