Friday, April 2, 2021

The Stations of the Cross in Kendall

 So today is Good Friday, the Christian holiday commemorating the crucifixion and death of Jesus. In the account, after Jesus is convicted of blasphemy, and Pilate washes his hands of the matter, Jesus must carry his cross to Golgatha (Hebrew) or Calvary (Latin) where he will be nailed to the cross. Two days later, according to believers, he rose from the dead -- this is commemorated by Easter.

When Wifey, the Ds and I visited Jerusalem, we walked the so-called stations of the cross -- the path Jesus took through the streets on his way to his fate. Pilgrims copy the walk all the time -- I guess today it's rather crowded in the Old City.

I called my friend Rabbi Yossi, as he shared with me a tale of his recent house purchase. He had no idea how hilarious it was.

He bought a place on Killian Parkway, just a few houses away from the Center/shul. The seller was a Middle Eastern Christian, and he knew all about the work Rabbi and Nechama have done for disabled kids in our community -- and was proud to sell them his house. He was a very nice man -- and said the house was "built with his heart" and he was so happy that was now going to such fine people. They signed the papers in the house (it being the time of Covid) and the man left.

Rabbi went into the master bedroom. Sure enough, the seller had left a huge cross there. Rabbi shrugged, and began schlepping it out for pickup later. As he did so, the realtor Anthony, himself a Jew, pulled up to see the sight of the Chasidic Rabbi carrying the cross. I'm sure he peed his pants, as I would have.

My Rabbi unwittingly visited the Kendall stations of the Cross.

In the garage, there was an even BIGGER crucifix. That had to be borne, too.

So for these reasons, I called Rabbi to wish him a blessed Good Friday. He didn't answer -- it's the final days of Passover -- which ends this year, coincidentally, in Sunday, which is also Easter.

I'm always amazed how few Christians realize the Last Supper was a Passover seder, and how intertwined are these two significant holidays. Oh well. Likewise, few orthodox Jews know, or care, about Good Friday and Easter.

Mike texted this afternoon. He had asked his wife, who was raised Catholic but recently learned her mother was a Jew, to bring him a Publix sub. He asked for tuna, as today is literally the only day of the Catholic year where one is supposed to shun meat. He got the tuna, but with extra bacon. The syncretism was everywhere.

I explained to Mike that, for some reason, bacon seems kosher, whereas pork chops absolutely never are. I'm not sure why that is.

All I know is, I have to take Wifey to an appointment at 3 -- my cross to bear. We'll fetch some dinner, and then I have my Zoom Happy Hour at 7. I really enjoy those.

Tomorrow we have no plans -- the painter is coming to finish the touch up job Wifey had him and his crew do -- replacing the metal stucco corners with plastic ones -- to prevent the rust stains.

And Sunday, Joey is set to play golf, and so we'll go hand with D1 and the little man. Hopefully D2 and Jonathan will come as well.

And before you know it...Ramadan will be here. It's always something.

No comments: