Monday, March 29, 2021

A Fine Early Seder

 So with the new grandson, our schedules basically follow his, and family gatherings tend to the early side. And so it was Saturday -- D1 and Joey and the spoiled Spaniel and the baby came over, and I left to go fetch the holiday food.

We went Middle Eastern this year -- Shaddai -- and I walked into the empty restaurant at noon, to see a few large bags on the counter, but no one there. I called out. No response. My weird mind immediately pictured the owner lying dead in the back, with a knife wound, from an angry wife. Not sure why I think this way. Indeed, the owner was in the back, but just cooking, and he knew immediately I was there to pick up the large order of kebabs, rice, fish, and other delicious foods.

I arrived home, and D2 and Jonathan were arriving, too, with their enormous puppy. D2 was FaceTiming with her 3 best UF friends. One of them, Ashley, was celebrating a birthday, and I said I had wished her a happy day on FaceBook, and noticed the only other greetings were from old people like me. Ha. Pretty much, she admitted, but still appreciated the thought.

I poured drinks, and we feasted. We decided to eat first, and seder after. We cleaned off the table, and used the haggadahs Joey had written a few years back -- the best I've ever seen. We went around the table discussing the meaning of Passover, the emancipation from slavery. The baby seemed interested.

Afterwards, Joey took the little man for a nap walk. I realized my Sonos music had been hijacked by D2 -- which I always find funny, hearing young peoples' tunes coming out the the speakers that either play 70s music or Sinatra.

We all loved the time together, and then Alyssa came by -- dear friend of the family. D1 is up and perky, and Alyssa makes her seem like the cartoon character Daria in contrast. Pure energy, and of the fun and loving kind. Since I was a few drinks in, I wasn't shy about strongly suggesting maybe she and her wonderful husband Fredy have kids, too. I really hope they do.

D1 and family left -- they had another seder with Joey's family later that night. We sat around watching basketball and drinking coffee and snacking on the flourless chocolate cake. It was truly a precious day.

Wifey had knocked over a full glass of red wine -- all over the relatively new dining room chair, and the new rug. D2 sprang into action, and cleaned it up. We laughed -- some people would have gone totally nuts with spilled red wine. We all share a decided attitude about not caring too much for stuff. I sort of hoped some of the stain would remain -- a reminder of the banner day during the pandemic. Alas, D2 using selzer and some magic cleaner, got it all out.

After the balance of the family left, we FaceTimed with Wifey's BFF Edna and her man Marc up in Atlanta. I drank water instead of vodka -- still nicely buzzed from earlier in the day.

Yesterday, our "2nd seder" was dinner with Joelle and Kenny and their boys at an outside venue at the Falls. Alas, I don't keep kosher for Passover...but at least do THINK about all the chametz I consume.

April is nearly upon us. Hopefully it won't be a cruel month, as Eliot described it, but rather another step towards the controlling of the plague.

It'll be VERY damned nice when we're all emancipated from that.

No comments: