Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Do We Have A Chance At Community?

 When I was in junior high, my favorite music was soul, and white peoples' music that sounded like soul. I particularly liked a song by Carole King called "Believe in Humanity," for its message about hoping we could all get along, despite the negativity in the world. And this was YEARS before Rodney King asked the question!

Well, of course our country has shown we have deep divides. The other day, I read a seemingly innocuous post in a local FaceBook page about septic tank contractors in our wealthy Village. Oh boy. I was, and am, the resident wise ass -- trying to defuse tensosity (my late friend Alan's wonderful neologism) with humor. Alas, the poster didn't get that "Number 2" referred to crap. When I tried to explain, he deleted his post -- sort of the way a neighbor did when she thought I was serious about posting that flamingos were bred in holiday colors to be taken to lawns (the flamingos in question were, of course, plastic).

But the septic issue went deeper. Ha. There is now a LONG thread about whether or not is was proper to mention that the company the fellow praised was "minority owned." I happen to think that's irrelevant -- in Miami, white, non hispanics like me are a minority.

When I read about a contractor, I want to know if he or she does good work. I couldn't care less about their race, religion, or otherwise. But this supposedly breezy, helpful community post has devolved into a misery of race baiting and defense of diversity. Caramba!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. There's an article in today's NY Times about grieving for the loss of an estranged family member -- how it presents "unique challenges." Sometimes, I guess, the survivor is just happy their mother is dead. Other times there is a different kind of guilt..

I see it a lot. In my family of first cousins, each of the 5 families (ha -- we could have been Mafia) have instances of siblings not speaking. It's just the way it is.

Years ago, I recall an adult son invited to his father's birthday party. He responded that the next time he wished to see either of his parents, it would be to dance upon their graves. Ha -- they both plan on cremation, so the joke's on him!

The point is, if families can't get along, do communities really have a chance? Even upper class places, free of crime, where the main issues seem to be an overabundance of peafowl, or the occasional Air BNB where too many parties take place?

At least when it comes to septic tanks in Pinecrest, I know the answer -- and it's very, very crappy.

No comments: