Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Still A Good Septic Tank Owner

 So last week I began calling Smith Septic, for my biannual pump out. I've proudly mentioned that they have declared me an excellent septic tank owner -- careful about what goes down the drain, and don't excessively use water. Alas, Mr. Smith, a nice 80 something man, told me their truck was broken -- call back tomorrow.

Each day I dutifully called, since I'm a loyal customer, but by Friday I was starting to feel like a jilted septic lover. And so I called the competition: Chapman. The nice Perrine lady asked about my prior septic experience, and said she and the Smiths were friends -- was all ok? I told her my tale of septic woe -- ok -- they could come out Thursday.

I then realized Thursday might be an issue. D2 is due here with the enormous dog Betsy, and I have to take Wifey to PT. But then Chapman called yesterday -- could they come first thing today? They could.

Mike showed up at the front gate, and agreed the best thing was to take his truck to the street behind our house, and do the pump from there. He did, and also praised me for the good tank condition. Good to know I have my shit in order. He laughed. I guess he gets these jokes all day.

I gave him a check, and off he went. He told me he bought a house near Lake Okechobee, and plans to commute. Miami was too damned expensive, so he'll be doing the 1.5 hour drive each way. He said it was ok -- gives him time to get his shit together. Ha. There it was again!

And so we should be good for another 2 years. It'd be great if we got sewers, but that seems a long way off. Just another example of how the rich, white man gets the short end of the stick in life. 

Meanwhile, Wifey is about to get some fame. The joke in the family was always that she was the only one never to be in the news. D1 is a media darling, and D2 has been on a few times. I used to get press -- most famously I was a consultant for Channel 10 when the OJ verdicts came in, courtesy of my old roommate Mark and his ex wife Gail, then a reporter for the station.

Well, Wifey was asked to be a poster child for recovery for a health issue she suffered, and on Sunday had a long Zoom interview with a freelance reporter for UHealth. The piece should air next week.

I acted as producer -- had to fetch a lamp from D2's old room to improve the lighting. At the conclusion of the interview with the charming reporter, Janna, Wifey told her that if she ever had Pediatric issues, she should call our dear friend Dr. Barry, who typically avoids media exposure but is a brilliant, articulate, and wonderful interview. Barry will be thrilled, I'm sure.

But I have happily dealt with my family's shit again, on the most literal level. If you don't do that, everything else falls apart.

No comments: