Thursday, August 6, 2020

Slogging Through Another Plague Week

So it's Thursday, and another week is nearly done, during these very strange times. Monday I actually left the reservation, as my Mom used to say when she left her condo, Kings Point. I had a follow up eye appointment, which I canceled for June and July. I figured my retinas needn't wait any more.

Last year, Wifey convinced me to see Dr. Schimel, a young, impressive eye doc, after I started seeing "Flashers," lights in the night that weren't there. Good thing I listened to her -- I indeed had a retinal tear, which Dr. S zapped closed with a laser. Had I let things go, it might have caused a detachment -- a much worse surgical repair, if not blindness.  I needed the year hence check, to make sure all was well.

The normally packed Baptist Medical Center was a ghost town -- I got my temperature checked, and got in the typically packed elevator with only 3 other people. The foot guides had us each facing a corner, and I said the last time I stood that way was when I was a very naughty boy. The young nurses laughed.

Dr. S saw me, after the test, and said all looked fine -- come back in a year unless there are new flashers. I was grateful.

Monday night we had a fine Zoom happy hour -- laughter with Edna and Marc, from their car, due to an Atlanta power outage. Jeff and Lili and Paul and Darriel were on, too.  It was a lovely few hours.

Tuesday we had masked visitors -- Carlos the IT man, with his helpers Roli and Roli, junior. They installed a new Lenove ThinkCentre I had bought -- so I could Zoom from the family room. They also installed a new WiFi extender system that gives full bars throughout the house -- so maybe my Zooms from the library won't drop, as they do now, much to the laughter of my more tech savvy friends.

Today we're headed to D1's to that Miriam can come here to clean. I think Joey is decamping to his parents' house to work -- it'll be quieter there. D1 has some conferences, too, so we can play with the little man. Maybe I'll take him for a walk to continue teaching him family and city history -- even though he's not yet 8 months old, I know he's retaining stuff...

Tomorrow night is another Zoom happy hour/shabbat. The routine, which I love, is attending Eric and Dana's at 6, and then following up with ours at 7. Lately some of us eat dinner "together." It's a pleasant way to pass the evening.

Saturday the plan is to host both Ds, their men, dogs, and one son. I received my order of special vermouth from Oregon, so I can make my signature gin and vodka martinis for my wonderful sons in law. It should be a highlight.

Meanwhile, the vaccine news seems positive -- hopefully they'll have one or more that work by the turn of 20/21. Ah -- a return to normalcy would be so grand.

In the mean time, we'll just keep on, keepin' on. What else is there to do?

No comments: