Sunday, August 16, 2020

Easy Like Sunday Morning

 It's a quiet Sunday in Pinecrest, just the way I like it. Friday night I hosted a lovely Zoom, where Wifey actually joined remotely. She's at her temp nanny job up in NE Miami, and it was funny to have her appear virtually, instead of by my side or behind me as she typically does.

Yesterday I drove up to see her and D1 and the grandson, while Joey was out golfing with his friends. Turns out I fail in one area of grandparenting: walk naps. His parents like the boy to nap at 4 while on a walk, and twice in a row now, he absolutely refused to sleep. He loved the walk, for sure, but never came close to closing his eyes. I took him to Biscayne Bay, just a few blocks away, and spoke to my parents -- making sure they knew their great grandson. I enjoyed it immensely -- but, alas, no naps.  Hey -- you can't excel in every arena...

I came home to a pair of happy dogs, and we spent the evening watching TV, with Bo providing laughter. The special needs Spaniel has a strange habit -- he appears sleeping, but actually watches the TV. Whenever an animal appears on screen, he starts growling and then barking. It's always a laugh producer, even when I'm the only human watching.

Today, I fed the pups and hit the road. It was just a tad cooler than usual, and no one was out. I walked through my suburban 'hood fantasizing I was an early Miami settler -- just me and the native vegetation. Then I remembered there was no AC then, and was glad I was in the present.

The balance of the day calls for a nap, and an afternoon walk. I've already logged just under 6 miles, and so 3 or 4 walks around the perimeter will get me to my desired 10 mile daily goal. 

I have so little to do as a lawyer, I guess walking has become my job. I stay at it. I try to exceed the goals I set. No wonder I had some success when my focus was on the law biz...

I saw my neighbor Allison this am, with her two enormous dogs. She's very nice and had a cool career -- working for the State Department, mostly in Haiti. She's originally from Georgia, and a proud Michigan alum. Her son is a rising senior at Gulliver, a local private school. She told me they're beginning the year virtually, like the public schools.

She is a HUGE Wolverines fan, and is already mourning the loss of football season. She has a network of Miami Michigan alums, and they get together each week to watch the games. The Big 10 canceled the season, so she is bereft.  I reminded her the Canes are still scheduled to play, and she was welcome to cheer for us -- we have a large tent. She scoffed -- she was at the game last time they played -- in '88, and the Canes came from behind a big lead to win. Nah -- she'll just wait for the return of Blue.

I wished her a good Sunday, and she laughed -- was I SURE it was Sunday? The days really all run together. She's correct, but as for this Sunday, I'm easy...

No comments: