Friday, August 21, 2020

Another Pandemic Week

 It's Friday, and we slogged through another week. Wifey has been up at D1 and Joey's, filling in for the nanny, who took a vacation with her boyfriend. The nanny returned Monday, and got Covid tested Wednesday, and hopefully will be cleared to re-enter the baby bubble. In the mean time, Wifey has acquitted herself well, though caring for a baby is no easy feat as we age...

I occupied myself per usual -- walking the 'hood a lot, and monitoring all news sources to make sure no calamities get past me. I also did a bit of consulting, with Stuart and Mike, our young aggressive co-counsel on now a potential class action matter.

Yesterday I drove up to D1's, to vacate Villa Wifey so that Miriam could come in and clean. I stopped for lunch to deliver, and we spent a nice several hours together. The baby, now 8 months, recognizes and smiles at me a lot. He knows his Grandpa Dave. I have much to teach him as he grows...

Monday I hosted our usual Zoom group, and a few thought it funny that Wifey was on her own screen, not realizing she was not home. We got the usual "Had enough of each other by now, huh?" jokes. It was a fun time -- I really enjoy the get togethers fueled by some strong adult beverages. I keep the parties to twice weekly, the better to drink less and savor it more each time.

As a young man, I truly followed the advice that too much of a good thing is great. As an older, aging toro, I see the wisdom of exactly the opposite. Treats that are rarer are better savored, at least to me.

I ordered my own Publix Instacart -- twice. I rarely shop for groceries, and saw first hand how damn expensive they are. I put in a $120 order today, and it came in two paper bags. "That's it?" I asked Luis, the young delivery guy. "Yes -- muy expensive these days" was his reply.

That's ok. I never forget for a moment how lucky my family and I are. This virus is a major annoyance -- that's it. So many are in abject misery. Just today, I read about a group of young folks who started a lovely grass roots project. They bought used refrigerators, plugged them in to shops in poor 'hoods in town, painted murals on the front announcing, in English and Spanish, "Free Food," and have folks either donate or take what they need.

They have a Go Fund Me page, and I donated the same amount I spent on myself today. It was the best credit card charge I've made in a good, long while.

D2 and Jonathan FaceTime each day. As I expected, the completion date for their new house is delayed a bit -- the builder said it would be done by September 1. Not so fast -- now hoping for the week of September 21. They extended their lease to October 15 -- hopefully done by then. If not, as I told them, they can really just stay and pay -- the landlords these days can't do much to evict you -- especially if you pay. Hopefully it won't come to that, and they can give the huge dog Betsy her new home...

Today I got in 5.2 miles walking, so far. I hope to get another 3-4 this afternoon. I need to be ready by 6 -- Eric hosts his Zoom shabbat, which I enjoy being a part of. And then at 7 I host the happy hour -- hopefully my final one as a single dude.

If all goes well, D1 and Joey will bring Wifey home tomorrow, and D2 and Jonathan will join us for a day in the pool and cocktails and Anthony's Coal Fired. Those days are by far the best for us all...

The numbers in Miami are trending down. I pray it continues. Bill Gates, very rich and smart guy, is confident there WILL Be a working vaccine within 6 months. We can serve this sentence, all of us.

Just slogging along...

No comments: