Friday, November 9, 2018

The Circle of Life

So on my way home yesterday, I called Mari, Alan's long time sort of girlfriend, who has been by his side during his final days. She said he was even more out of it, but seemed to be waiting for his daughter Ali before moving on. Sure enough, I got a text early this morning from Rabbi Yossi -- Alan had died at half past midnight. He was 69.

His body is being flown to Scranton, his hometown, even though he's lived here for 50 years. A few friends, including Paul, plan to go to NYC and drive the 2 hours to PA for the burial.

But on the happier side of things, my dear friend Stuart is hosting his daughter's Bat Mitzvah tomorrow. Stu got married later, and Ava was born when he was 45. His son came when he was 42, the age my Dad was when I was born. Stu had asked me what it was like to have an older father. I told him my Dad was my best friend, a combination father and grandfather who meant the world to me. Any downside, Stu asked. Yes, I replied -- you ever meet my father?

But hopefully Stu will have a much longer life than Hy did, and tomorrow we celebrate with a service at Aventura/Turnberry, where the rabbi grew up in Pittsburgh, and just returned from a visit to his hometown tragedy, followed by a lunch at Williams Island.

It'll be nice to celebrate a ritual of youth after all the death that seems to be hanging around lately.

Also this week, I texted with my brother in law Dennis about my law firm's taxes, and spoke with personal CPA Mark about personal taxes.  Given all the death around, I guess it was appropriate to deal with the only OTHER inevitability...

But on a happier note, a week from Tuesday D2 and Jonathan are due in from NYC, and Dadber will be at MIA. It's a jam packed week -- Wednesday night we celebrate, early, D1's 30th birthday, Thursday we're hosing T Day, Friday the Ds have a rehearsal dinner for a wedding at a local Reform synagogue on Saturday. Since the Ds will be busy, I plan to attend the last regular season Canes game of the year, and then Sunday get to celebrate my dear friend Norman's birthday.

T Day time always starts the most hectic time for us, and we don't even celebrate Christmas. D2 is coming back on 12/24 to celebrate her Mom's birthday, and leaving right after NYE. Then Wifey and I celebrate our wedding anniversary. By the time the first week in January is done, I'm ready for a vacation.

So we get to plan, and act, and savor the moments on the planet. Warren Zevon died of cancer, and gave as his final advice that we should enjoy every sandwich -- in other words, even the most mundane things in life.

I do, and am thankful I can. And adios, Alan...I'll think of him tomorrow as sparkle eyed Ava becomes a young woman...

No comments: