Saturday, November 17, 2018

Enjoying the Weather

So I left for the office yesterday and asked Wifey about maybe having dinner outdoors -- it was too lovely to stay in. She loves Black Point Marina, and so do I -- it reminds me of Monty's in the Grove back in the day, before the Grove became so upscale.

She called Deb, but she and Norman were busy entertaining out of town family, and I called Jeff, who typically doesn't do things last minute. But, alas, Lili had told him they'd BETTER start going out more, lest they become that couple who people suspect are shut ins, and so they were ON.

We fetched them at 6:30 and crawled down Old Cutler, but in about 20 minutes we arrived. We parked far from the restaurant, and sat down by the water. It was lovely. A cool breeze blew, and Lili was glad she had brought a sweater. Wifey, always concerned about my physical fitness, purposely forgot one, so that I would get the benefit of walking the 1/4 mile back to the car to fetch the emergency sweater I keep in the trunk.

Now Wifey was comfortable, and so I enjoyed the double Titos they offer -- only $6.75. We toasted our families -- Jeff and Lili's oldest is getting married in January, and we recalled the more than 30 years we've sailed through life together.

Lili is one of our funniest and wittiest friends, and she gave us some laugh out loud moments last night. She was raised Catholic and converted to the Tribe, but admits she still misses having a Christmas tree. Their daughters, growing up, asked for one, and she gaily told them "When Dad dies, we can have our tree."  So we all agreed THAT'S something to look forward to.

Black Point has live music, but it didn't start until 9, and we finished our dinners at 8:30. We said adios to our waitress and left.

We chatted a bit outside of their house, which is 4 houses from Villa Wifey, and then headed home. I sat outside awhile in the cool evening, under what the Boss poetically called "the evening trees."

The pre T Day fun continues. I bought the last two tickets for tonight's show at the old Parrot Jungle -- in the geodesic dome they still call the Parrot Bowl. The sax man David Sanborn is playing, and I happened to see an ad in the Herald -- I called and got the last two tickets. I'll be sure to bring a sweater for Wifey tonight right from the start.

We endure the summer heat for this time of year. D2 can't wait for her visit home -- NYC has already had wet snow and chill temps. She's a tropical girl on an extended sabbatical, as I always say.

Tomorrow we'll visit ancient Suegra. The Palace is hosting an early Thanksgiving, so it will be packed with relatives waiting on line for turkey. I may just sneak outside to the lovely gazebo while Wifey and her mom eat.

The weather is just too delightful...

No comments: