Saturday, November 3, 2018

Another Shooting

It happened again yesterday in Tallahassee -- a loser with a gun and a grudge walked into a studio and killed two women and then himself. More are in the hospital, and a hero who tacked him got severely pistol whipped. It seems like every week lately. Springsteen's "Cover Me" lyrics play in my brain "I've seen enough I don't wanna see anymore."

Tally police released the dead victims' names. One was Wifey's age, a doctor in town and professor at FSU Med School. The other was 21 -- a Seminole undergrad.

I looked up the young victim on FaceBook. She was beautiful -- a Southern, WASPy version of the Ds. She was from Dunwoody, Ga, where Wifey's bff Edna lives, and where we've spent a lot of time. And she was taking a yoga class -- something the Ds do all the time.

I don't want to imagine the call the girl's parents got in the Atlanta suburb. Their lives instantly ruined.

My trainer Enrique and I were talking about the mass shootings the other day. I told him that statistically, it's the safest time to be a human being. Social media and constant news instantly report tragedies that 15 years ago we might not have even heard about, and it seems like there are far more of them.

Living has always been a dangerous activity. Our ancestors got eaten by animals -- frequently. In our society, the animals have been replaced by loser psychopaths with guns.

Of course guns are a problem -- mass shootings are uniquely American among supposedly civilized societies. Maybe the Dems will return to power, kiss off the NRA and its influence on simple minded Republicans, and there'll be fewer shootings. That's my hope.

But the loss, in the mean time, stings.

They had the funerals for the Pittsburgh synagogue victims last week. Last night, as Wifey and I drove home, past Bet Shira, the synagogue across from Palmetto High, we noticed there was a Pinecrest police car out front, with lights -- for a regular Shabbat service. I guess more security will be the thing of the future.

So I feel for people I don't know -- Tally victims' families. As time goes on, the loser's "motives" will come out, I'm sure. Early reports was that it was domestic. As a good friend of mine noted, it's too bad that murder/suicides can't instead be suicide/murders...

Well, today is Canes game day. Mirta will be here at 4, and we'll cruise up to Joe Robbie to meet our crew. We play Duke at 7 -- should be an easy game, but with our disappointing team, anything can happen.

But I plan to savor the time with my friends -- laughing, drinking, telling tales of yore. It's homecoming weekend, and yesterday my brother Norman returned to WVUM as Stormin' Norman, to perform as alumni DJ. He was terrific -- played tunes from our college years -- got to my request for Iggy Pop, which I appreciated.

They posted FB pix of him and his crew from the station. Wise guy Wifey said she wanted to see "Before/After" pictures. Funny, Wifey is...

So we'll hoist a few, and celebrate our friendships. For at least some Noles, today, there'll be no celebrating...

No comments: