Sunday, November 25, 2018

The Busy Innkeeper

I really enjoy being an innkeeper, at least temporarily. I always have. Back when I was at the U, I loved having friends visit, even if they just sleeping bagged it on my campus apartment floor, or crashed on the naugahyde couch.

Later, in my first apartment, I was always a frequent host, though Wifey, who was dating me, often objected to my being so gracious -- especially then the guests were also single women. But afterwards, when we got together, we'd often have a crowded living room in our Kendall apartment -- especially at holiday times.

This T Day D2 and Jonathan were here, along with Ashley and Kyle. They came Friday -- there was a big Gator wedding last night at Temple Beth Am, right up the road. So yesterday am I was up early fetching bagels, and nova, and croissants for the guests.. They loved it.

T Day was grand, although it started off with a visit by the Avenue Q "Bad Idea Bears." I felt we ought to have my ancient suegra, and volunteered to get her at the Palace, while Wifey was finishing with the table prep  My suegra is a true freak of nature -- nearly 94, and still wildly obese. Wrangling her into my car was quite a chore. I had her wheelchair, but it's useless at my house -- too many stairs from the front driveway.  Somehow I got her to the front porch, and I recovered from the massive schlep with a martini. The guests came and we got her to the table.

T Day was delightful. Joey's brother and sister in law came last minute, with their beautiful baby girl. Everyone ate heartily, and I made sure they drank well, too. The hours flew by as we repeatedly laughed and gave thanks for being together.

Everyone left but D2, and she helped me with her Sabta, and we returned her to the Palace. The old lady did have a grand time -- she was beaming when we dropped her off.

Friday D2 and Jonathan and Kyle had happy hour with me -- I turned Kyle onto Middleton, the fine Irish whiskey. I really dig him -- he's a patent lawyer in SF, and Ashley is returning there from NYC to live with him. I hope they end up together.

Then Elizabeth came over -- fresh from T Day at her sister's in the Grove. We talked about how some folks host T Day and somehow it's more miserable than joyful -- there's lots of tensosity, to use my late friend Alan's neologism.  But we went out for salads, and came home to some wine on our porch -- I told Elizabeth I would buy tickets for the final Rolling Stones concert next April -- the tour starts in Miami. She's going to come back and join us.

Saturday I was up as the innkeeper, and the young folks left after bagels and coffee, and at noon Mirta came -- the final Canes game. I brought a LOT of leftovers -- Mike was hosting the tailgate -- Norman decided, wonderfully, to take his Dad Max to the game, and so would miss a tailgate -- and Mike entertained us by deep frying a turkey.

That, along with the 6 lbs of leftover Shorty's brisket, and Sephardic side dishes, made for a nice spread.

My nephews from other parents were there  -- Scott is a senior at Maryland, and we were a bit misty eyed that his 4 college years flew by. He's interviewing for big boy jobs now, and enjoying his life, with a girlfriend we'll get to meet over Christmas break.

The game was boring -- though the Canes won handily, on amazing defense. But Pitt was the Coastal champion, which we should have been, so there was teeth gnashing about the season that could have happened for the Canes...

We drove home, and Mirta left to be with her boyfriend Jay, here for a few more days, and Wifey was watching TV. I had hoped to fetch D2 and Jonathan and Ashley and Kyle after the wedding, but my eyes grew tired, and I texted that Dadber was turning in -- maybe Momber would get them? She would not -- she was also tired, and they took regular Uber home -- I was up, though, and greeted them with my whiporwill whistle, which D2 laughed at -- it was from her youth.

Today the foursome has a post wedding brunch, and Wifey is seeing "Hello Dolly" with Cara and Linda, for Cara's birthday. They had made the plans a while back. I'm off to a lunch in the Gables, to celebrate Norman's 57th.

Ashley and Kyle will leave, and Jonathan will head back to Aventura for his last night with his family.

I get D2 for another morning -- I'll squire her around for some appointments, before I drop her at MIA where she'll meet Jonathan for their return to LGA.

It's always sad when we part, but less so this time, as she'll be coming back here in less than a month -- she already has her overpriced tickets for Xmas break -- she's coming 12/24, which is famous for being Wifey's birthday Eve. She'll stay until the second day of 2019.

I have a feeling the Inn at Villa Wifey might be in operation again -- their friends kind of dig being in Miami for New Year's.

It'll be my pleasure -- bagels and coffee and happy hours are my specialty -- with bell service and usually Dadber provided, at no extra charge.

No comments: