Friday, October 6, 2017

Twice With An Old Friend

Wifey and I have a favorite, long time friend, named Allison.  I met her at UM Law, but years later, she came to work for my firm.  She became the muse, confessor, and confidant of Paul and me -- and also a decorator and realtor for all of us.

She was a guest at the BFCW, but we didn't get to spend much time with her -- the sheer size of the party prevented that.  But her birthday is today, and yesterday Paul set up a get together for all of us, tonight, at a hipster place on Biscayne Boulevard.  We're looking forward to us.

But fate had earlier plans.  Allison had kids late in life, and her twins are now 13.  One plays volleyball for her middle school, and yesterday there was a game at Palmer Trinity -- a private school south of us.  Al texted -- her girl Emma was taking the bus home -- were Wifey and I free?  We were - and she came by for a cocktail and chat -- it ended up lasting for hours.

Allison's gone through a rough divorce -- from a guy I never much liked.  He's a corporate lawyer, who always had a much higher opinion of himself than I thought made any sense.  Despite the difficulties of the split, Allison has kept her awesome sense of humor.  And we have a history of hilarious tales to share.

We did it last night.  She helped Wifey decorate our house when we moved in 17 years ago.  She reminded us that I had agreed to host a huge party for UM a mere month after the move -- the College of Arts and Sciences farewell to UM President Tad Foote.  Wifey and Allison scrambled to get ready -- and the party was a huge success.

When I welcomed everyone, I told Tad Foote that, in '81 when he came to UM, my roommates and I were asked to welcome him to the "Honors Dorm"  - an aging apartment building, long since torn down.  The symmetry was great -- 20 years later, I was called upon to host his retirement.  Tad, always the gracious, WASPy patrician (his wife was the daughter of Senator William Fullbright), looked around and said UM must have done a good job with me.  Also, my beaming Mom was there, and he greeted her -- thanking her for sending her young son to Miami.  It was a lovely evening.

We recalled the night, as well as many, many more escapades of our never boring law firm -- the good times, and riches, and son of a bitches, to steal a Buffet line.

Allison's daughter called at around 10, after we had eaten take in DiNapoli, and summoned her home to Miami Shores.  We said farewell -- and knew the reunion would continue tonight.

Some folks go through life without close friends.  I'm not sure how they do it.  I'm just glad I never had to find out.

No comments: