Monday, October 16, 2017

In My Mind I'm Going to Greenwich Village

Melville's Ishmael said he knew it was time to put to sea when living on the land depressed him -- when he caught himself spending too much time joining funeral processions...

I'm thankfully, usually, a much more cheerful guy.  My travel bug bites when I haven't seen one of the Ds in more than a month.  For D1, it was when she was away in Gville -- D2 during her 5 year tenure as well.  Now, for the past nearly 2.5 years, D2 has been on sabbatical in NYC.

I saw her for the Big Fat Colombian Wedding, in September, and she's due home for TDay.  But that was too long a gap -- so I booked a trip to NYC for an October visit.  Wifey wants to go, too, and we leave Friday, late am.

D2 and her man Jonathan live in my favorite part of the Tri State area: Greenwich Village.  It was my beloved Dad's favorite part, too.  Although Dad was a classic Greatest Generation "Man in the Gray Flannel Suit," he admired poets and writers and musicians, and taught me a love for things Bohemian.  And GW still maintains that vibe -- even though it's very expensive to live there.

Wifey and I will Uber from LGA, and we have late reservations for dinner at Chumley's -- a new restaurant at the site of a famous literary speakeasy.  Saturday we'll just roam around, I guess -- hopefully enjoying some brisk Fall weather.  It WILL be brisker than here.

Saturday night I will need to find a dinner place where I can catch the Canes game.  Stuff with them getting serious now -- ranked in the Top 10, with a chance for greatness here at mid season.  D2 will understand -- even 5 years in Gatorland hasn't removed her affinity for her childhood team.

Sunday I have a rental car reserved -- from a spot in the Village.  I plan to drive Wifey and the young-uns out to my ancestral home -- Long Island -- but to the really nice part -- North Shore.  There's a gorgeous arboretum there -- the Planting Fields -- and I hope to lead them on a classic Fall day -- we might even find some pumpkin pie and apple cider while we're on "The Island."

Our flight leaves late Sunday -- D2 and Jonathan can drop us at LGA and then return the car.

Then, I will have taken care of the need to see my youngest -- at least until November.

No comments: