Sunday, October 29, 2017

Turning Japanese

So D1 and Joey each have vague family histories regarding Japan.  Joey's parents, married in '84, honeymooned in Asia after their wedding in Colombia.  Ricardo brought home a wild new product -- the Laser Disc -- first guy on the block!

When I was in junior high, my Dad planned a three week trip for us.  He was always fascinated with Japanese culture, and we were ready to go, but then Mom collapsed during a Sunday outing, and was hospitalized with perforated ulcers.  No Japan for us.  Years later, after I practiced law for a year and hated it, I looked into moving to Japan to teach English.  I guess I inherited Dad's admiration of their culture -- I have ZERO desire to see any other Asian country.

Wifey was all for it.  We were 26 and 30 -- no kids, an easily rentable house, and could have found dog sitters.  I remember getting the brochures in the mail.  But, alas, life kept going, and I stuck around and kept at the law biz...

So now -- all these years later -- D1 is getting to go.  As I type, she and Joey are in Dallas, awaiting their very long flight to Tokyo.  Joey has a business associate in Japan, a very rich guy, and he will show them around a bit, and then they'll bullet train around the country.  I'm thrilled for them.

Friday night we met Joey and his parents and brother Alan for a farewell dinner, on Lincoln Road.  It was a delicious evening -- cool breezes blowing, happy visitors from all the world walking around.

We met at a Cuban place.  Ricardo got up to use the bathroom, and secretly paid the bill -- MY old trick!  We talked about the new life of the newlyweds -- they're house hunting, and D1 is building her business, and Joey is kicking butt at his company.

On the way home, Wifey and I talked in wonder about Joey and his family.  They're so delightful.  They live for their three boys (and now 2 daughters in law) the way Wifey and I live for our kids.  And they still enjoy life themselves.

Yesterday a late season tropical storm blew past us, off the coast, and brought torrential rain.  Barry came over around noon, and we ate bagels and lox and watched the Canes win -- yet again.  They're now 7-0.  Wifey laughed at how Barry and I screamed the same things at the TV.  Barry reminded her that he and I have watched the Canes together for 37 years now -- we tend to see football (and all of life, for that matter) pretty much the same.

Barry left to meet his wife and S2, who were returning from Orlando.  S1, Scott, texted us during the game.  Barry told him that D1 was invited to Baseball's Winter Meetings this December -- as Marlins team dietitian.  Scott was quite impressed.

Today we're left with the gorgeous weather the storm was kind enough to have in its wake.  Wifey and I need to visit her mother.  I think we'll take the old woman to the cemetery to visit her late husband's grave -- she always wants to make that single trip.  She tells us that lately she feels his presence a lot, and speaks to him.

Isaac Bashevis Singer wrote that, as he aged, he definitely believed in ghosts.  Who knows?

All I know is I wish D1 and Joey safe travels.  I told her I never ask for a gift from a trip, but I would kind of enjoy a coffee mug or T shirt of Godzilla.  I spent so many hours of my childhood watching those movies on weekend afternoons.  I think I read the atomic dinosaur is a cult figure in Japan.

Japan -- here they come!

No comments: