Thursday, October 12, 2017

Getting Back To Normal

So a much too eventful September has passed, and October is nearly half over.  We finally have our house mostly back to normal.

Sara the landscaper had her crew work two full days, and most of the storm debris is gone.  They have another half day to go, and then I can think about buying some new koi for my pond.  They died after the aerator was off for 5 days while the power was gone and we were in Atlanta.  The koi were all 13 or so -- I had bought them after the prior batch died following Wilma. 

I have a few roof tiles needing replacing -- but those are only cosmetic.  The roofer we use put me on a long list of jobs -- I figure they'll get to my small task in November.  The good news is that, thanks to our friend Marc's drone shots -- we can see the roof other than those few tiles is perfect.

Marc and Edna came last Saturday.  It was great having them -- laughter, and fun meals together.  Marc left yesterday, and Edna was going to change her plane ticket and go with him -- but the change charge exceeded the price of the ticket, and Edna stayed on.  She and Wifey are at Wifey's book club today -- at Berries in the Grove -- and tonight they're going to Edna's parents' condo in Hallandale to check on it and have a Y chromosome free evening.

This truly is my favorite time.  Canes season is in full swing -- Saturday we have a tailgate planned, thanks to Norman and Maria -- and Mirta is ready to go with me.  We host Georgia Tech, and the Canes are 4-0 --giving my group a nostalgic whiff of our glory years.

Wifey and Edna return tomorrow, and Edna leaves Sunday.  Mirta and I will come home from the game Saturday and bring Pinecrest Bakery sandwiches -- sort of a new tradition we've started for late afternoon games.  Mirta visits Edna's Dad at Miami Jewish Home -- they'll have some debriefing to do, I'm sure.

As for me tonight?  I enjoy playing the gentleman bachelor, from time to time.  I'm thinking a martini and steak might be in the plan -- my friend John, a widower, is always up for that sort of evening.

And it's nice to come home to a house that no longer looks like the set of "Jumangi."  Hopefully we've seen the last of windstorms for quite awhile.

No comments: