Sunday, October 1, 2017

So This Is Yom Kippur...And What Have You Done

So yesterday was the big holiday for my peeps -- the one where, it is said, the Big Man seals his Book of Life -- who shall live, who shall die, who shall die by fire, who shall die by ice...

I spent it hanging around the house, mostly in reflection...taking stock, as they say.

I truly wish I was a man who could believe in the traditional way.  I tried going to services -- for many years.  But the words just fall around me.  Orthodox services are better -- I get a sense that my friend Yossi really knows his Torah.  Reform are the worst for me -- scolding rabbis who seem to be more sociologists and pop psychologists than learned scholars -- and they try to spruce up the services with 60s style, but bad folk rock with guitars...

For now, I just do better skipping all of them.

Friday night was Kol Nidre.  That is my favorite of services.  Comedian Lewis Black noted the creepy music -- better than any Hitchcock movie.  Instead, I sat alone and watched the Canes play at Duke.  Mike was at a sports bar and invited me, but Wifey reminded me maybe I'd feel better if I didn't go out publicly during a high holiday.  She was right.  The Canes won, but it was an annoying game -- they let the inferior Devils hang around until the fourth quarter.

Yesterday I mostly tried to just get through the day.  The special needs Spaniel and strange rescue dog were great companions.  I fasted.  I reflected.  I figured out, well, nothing.

But today, as I fetched the paper, I detected the slightest hint of coolness in the air.  Not really coolness, but at least a slight cessation of oppressive heat and humidity.  My favorite season is upon us.

I miss the North in Fall.  The good news is, I may have to cover a meeting for the firm, and if I do, will include a trip to see D2.  Greenwich Village is glorious in Autumn.

I truly, finally, see the wisdom of the snow birds -- people who live up north during the summer and winter in Florida.  Maybe that'll be a nice compromise for Wifey and me -- guaranteed weeks up North, and only being here for the great weather -- October through April.  We'll see.

All I know is, I thank the Big Man for each day.  The dogs are happily snoring behind me.  The coffee is hot and fresh.  October is here.

No comments: