Sunday, June 18, 2017

The Palm for FD

So after a perfectly lazy Saturday, where I accomplished the goal I had set of venturing no farther than the mailbox, I got ready and fired up Wifey's underused SUV.  I always try to drive it as often as possible -- the lease allows for 12K miles per year, and a year and a half in, she's gone less than 5K miles.

I arrived too early, as usual, as my confirming call with D1 was a distracted one.  I was on the other line with an old acquaintance, asking me about a heart surgeon at Baptist -- had we ever sued him?  We had not, and her 75 year old husband is getting something called a Watchmen Device.  I wish him well.

So I parked near D1 and Joey's building and watched the young folks walk to and fro...finally my passengers got into the Dadber and off we went -- up Biscayne Boulevard to the causeway to Bay Harbor, and to the Palm.

It's my favorite Miami steakhouse.  It's the first satellite one from the NY classic place -- and the crowd might as well by Midtown Manhattan as well, maybe with a slightly more Latin tinge.  The waiter with the perfect Queens accent took our orders, and we were off to a fine meal and drinks.  D1 and Joey toasted me -- best Dad in the biz, and I toasted them for making that task easy.

The place was so noisy we FaceTimed (tm) D2, and found her in her new apartment with Wifey -- waiting for take out to arrive.  I missed having her and Jonathan there, too, but plan on a one week delayed FD next Friday.

I learned from the best.  I miss Hy each day.Today marks 34 FDs that I haven't been able to celebrate with him.  It really, really sucks.  I phoned my friend Jeff on the way to dinner -- this is the first year he has no father on FD -- his Dad Norton died last year.  We agreed the only answer was the sage world of Tony Soprano -- yeah -- what are ya gonna do?

After I dropped off D1 and Joey, I reflected about fatherhood on the easy drive home.  I never put much emotion into my role as a lawyer.  It's lovely to have money, but I couldn't care less about stuff (well, except for the big ass house -- I really like that).  I try to be a serviceable husband.  But when it comes to being a father -- I pride myself above all.  I have given my heart and soul to my Ds, and will do so forever.  And the tent will broaden with sons in law, too.

I sent one father's day greeting this am -- to a young man who may be the only better father than I am.  I watch this fellow give boundless energy and love to his two young kids -- I beam like a long ball hitter watching the next player come along who will hit even more home runs.

So all is quiet, on Father's Day.  Norman and Deb have invited me to a brunch, and I look forward to seeing Max -- also one of the best Dads in the business.  He's nearing 90, and his kids, grandkids, and great grandkids all fight for his time -- to share his wisdom, and his love.

I fully do NOT plan on living nearly that long, but if I do, Max will be my role model.  He's been in the biz for decades, and just keeps it up year after year, day after day.

When I said goodbye to confirmed bachelor Vince on Friday, I wished him ZERO FD greetings.  He agreed.

As for me, I enjoy the day, and many to come.

No comments: