Sunday, June 4, 2017

Big Ds Weekend

So we miss D2 -- a lot.  Wifey is going to NYC in a few weeks to help her move to her new apartment in Greenwich Village.  Helping to move is one activity now OFF my Dad schedule -- I really, really dislike it.  For nine years I was the go to parent moving the Ds in and out of college and grad school homes, and I had to assist Wifey as we moved my suegra from Pembroke Pines to Palmetto Bay, and, one year later, to an ALF.  So I'm done, for now.

But I really miss D2 as well.  Hopefully she'll make it home for July 4.  If not, I'll head to NYC last week of June.  Her company, being clearly a haven for millennials like her, is having a "Take Your Parents to Work Day."  I may attend, to see what fun activities they plan for us codgers -- do we get to operate the computers, or maybe make believe we're handling personnel decisions?

So for now, I got to have a vicarious weekend with my youngest -- she and her man Jonathan attended the Governor's Ball yesterday -- sort of a NY does Ultra thing on Randall's Island.  I exchanged some eye rolling "Dad thinks he knows hip hop" texts with the young ones.

Meanwhile, back in the 305, D1 and Joey hosted us in their Midtown apartment for shabbat dinner.  Joey really likes to celebrate each week -- a move I love.  So we lit candles and broke the challah, which I had bought from D1's friend's bakery -- it was delicious.  We caught up with one of Joey's brothers, Alan, who just moved into the building, and their awesome Mom Jackie.  Wifey and I drove home afterward with very warm feelings about the man D1 has chosen.

And then yesterday, D1 had her first clubhouse visit to her highest profile client -- the Miami Marlins.  She sent photos of her with very large, athletic men.  I was able for forward the pix to my nephew of another brother, Scott, a budding sports journalist, and HUGE Fish fan.  He identified the players, and I think I falsely impressed D1 with my knowledge.

Anyway, Edinson Volquez went on to pitch the 6th no hitter in team history.  So D1 is a good luck charm.  Wifey actually turned to me, and said "What does pitching a no hitter mean?"  At times like those, I know I did marry a woman with many of my beloved Mom's qualities...that would have been vintage Sunny.

We then met Wifey's friend Cara and her boyfriend Teddy for dinner at Christy's.  I love using the term "boyfriend" for Teddy -- he's well into his 80s.  Still, we had great conversation punctuated by Cara's wonderful laugh.  Wifey drove home as the buzz of the martinis swirled in my brain.

So it was a fine weekend for the Ds.  And for the Marlins.

Today, the obligation side of life plops back into our laps -- a visit to the Palace to see my suegra.  A call came in at 12:30 this am -- woke me out of a great sleep -- saying she was found on the floor -- again.  This is happening with greater frequency.  She was fine -- they just get 2 or 3 staff to lift the corpulent woman back to her feet -- but regulations require they call the family to alert them.  I think Wifey might amend that with the staff today.

The rain is finally upon us, and mostly all is fine.  As one of my life mentors says, I have no just complaints.

No comments: