Thursday, June 8, 2017

A Soaking Great Time

Loni came over and I drove us all to my office.  As we parked, it started to rain, but as we summoned an Uber, the rain lightened, so we took the People Mover to Mike's building, and headed to Toro Toro (Spanish for double lawnmover) in the lobby of the InterContinental.  Mike joined us, he drank pisco sours, I had martinis, Loni a glass of wine, and Wifey got a contact buzz.  We shared steaks and talked of our long time friendship -- I met the three of them all in Fall of '83, and we've really all grown up together.

We walked outside, and it was raining, but we waffled about Uber on packed Biscayne Boulevard, and next we knew it began to monsoon.  I mean really, really pour down.  We were all soaked -- the most soaked Wifey said she was since she attended Watkins Glenn as a teen.  I wasn't born yet...

We ducked into Bayside, and Wifey got a great idea -- we'd buy dry shirts rather than be ripped off at the AAA.  Loni and Wifey found theirs, and the very nice and very gay sales guy found exactly TWO XL shirts in the youth oriented (what isn't?) Express store.  Mike picked pink and I took salmon.

Then it was a cut through the parking garage,and a sprint up the AAA steps.  The metal detectors were unmanned.  Our printed paper tickets were mush.  The ushers seemed to say -- screw it -- crazy middle aged white folks don't seem to be a threat -- they let us in.

Wifey and Loni decamped to the ladies room to change.  Fueled by our combined 7 drinks, I convinced Mike to change right in the promenade.  I warned a cool dressed lady to avert her eyes, and we stripped to our white corpulence.  The lady may have peed her pants.  Mission accomplished.

I bought us 4 glasses of concert champagne, for $100 (I figured the T shirt savings ought to be put to good use) and we found our seats.  Tears for Fears was fine -- I had forgotten how many hits they had in the 80s -- they were in fine form.

Wifey had refused her champagne, so I downed it, and then spilled a little on her new shirt.  She responded with spilling a LOT of it on me,and we laughed.  I don't think I'll be wearing the shirt much -- it's tight fitting, and not belly friendly, as Wifey kept pointing out by patting my martini abdomen...

Then the headliners came on -- Hall and Oates.  They were also terrific, and the packed crowd responded.  They launched into a few long jams, and everyone danced along.  Norman and Deb were on the floor, and we saw them on the video screens a few times.

My favorite moment was when they covered "You've Lost That Loving Feeling"  -- everyone sang along.  Daryl Hall, 70, is still in excellent voice.

The lights came up, and we walked out -- now into just a drizzle rain.  We ran into a former friend's former wife -- with her third husband.  The fellow is a pilot and much better looking than her last guy -- I congratulated her on the upgrade.

Mike drove us back to my building, and Wifey piloted the girlie Caddy back home.  I had filmed "Rich Girl" for the Ds and sent it, but they were both asleep by 10.  It was Mom and Dad's night out.

Norman called on the way home -- we both loved the show.  And Sunday, we do it again -- U2 up at Joe Robbie Stadium.

We are blessed with these good times...

No comments: