Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The Life We Have Chosen

I feel a bit guilty about something.  Last weekend, some local theaters played the original "Godfather" on account of its 45th release anniversary.  Wifey was out doing errands, and I was going to go, tuck myself into a seat in the back, and enjoy the classic on the big screen, for the first time since I saw it as a boy of 10.  Alas, laziness won out, and I missed the event.

So many of the quotes have reflected my life.  My DNA test showed a larger than expected percentage of Italian blood -- maybe that's a factor.  Also, my Dad used to tell me that some of my mother's uncles had close mob connections -- one of her cousins, I think named Sylvia, was a mistress to Lucky Lepke.  For whatever reason, I love mob movies, and I and II are at the top of the list.

One of the greatest lines was uttered by Hyman Roth, when he was teaching young Michael Corleone about not taking things personally.  "This is the life we have chosen."  I adore that simple line -- it's sage wisdom permeates so much.

Yesterday was a fine example.  D1 had spent the night, to be able to attend a meeting at a local center where she does consulting.  She called me after the meeting to share classic tales of the administrator's talk with her -- about some criticism she heard about D1.  The details don't matter, but the hilarious part was that it came from spoiled, entitled, wildly annoying, and sanctimonious women.

After working with mostly poor patients at Jackson Memorial, D1 designed her business to only handle an upscale clientele.  Silly complaints are bound to come from this demographic.  I reminded her it was the life she had chosen -- she knew and agreed.

I've often thought that being an administrator at a rich private school might be the worst job in the city.  People pay a lot and they expect Cadillac treatment.  It's a job I could never have -- the first time a spoiled parent complained about something stupid, I'd respond sarcastically, and that would be it.  There's a special skill required in dealing with the spoiled among us.

At our law firm, the overwhelming majority of clients have been from poor backgrounds.  Generally, the folks we represent appreciate our expertise, and follow directions.  I have friends who represent wealthy and powerful clients.  That's not a gig I'd ever want, either.

I'm always reminded of the time I told my friend Jeff, who was then involved in his local synagogue, that I was starting a law firm.  He encouraged me to get involved in his shul -- to get cases.  I laughed and explained that when a middle or upper class Jew in Miami has a personal injury case -- chances are he's already a lawyer, or related to one, or a close friend of one.  Probably being on the board wouldn't help.  Better to get involved in a community organization from a poorer place -- most of those people have no easy access to lawyers.  This has proven correct for our careers...

But D1 wil soldier on.  She has built an amazing practice.  She donates her time, all the time -- speaking to homeless people in shelters, and lending her expertise to people who can no more afford private consultations than they could afford a private jet.  And her bread and butter clients -- well, many will be fine, some will be simply awful human beings.  This is the life she has chosen...

No comments: