Friday, September 6, 2013

Game Talk

It's shaping up to be a banner long weekend in the 305. Last night, D1 and Joel, and Alyssa and Fredy came over, and we began toasting the Jewish New Year. D2 arrived with Cath and Ben, and I forced them to have a L'Chaim before heading to their own houses. We ate, drank, drank more, ate, and enjoyed each others company. All but D2 left around 11, and I slept the sleep of a happy, comforted Daddy in the USA. The Ds went out together, and then enjoyed a double sister, double dog nap. I used the same 2 dogs for my own Friday nap, earlier. There's something so primally soothing about sleeping with a dog. And the pre Canes/Gators game atmosphere is palpably exciting. The press is printing trash talk between UM and UF alumni columnists, and I got several calls today from Canes friend fans who haven't been to a game in years. Where's the tailgate? What to bring? Norman is coordinating things with military precision. My assignment is vodka -- for bloody marys, as well as anyone brave enough to drink it straight at 9 in the am. I may have to rally to the cause. Even the tailgate smack talk has started. I called Dr. Barry and found him shopping in Publix, for supplies for the breakfast wraps he will make. "I have real work to do, as opposed to you -- just buy some vodka." In tailgating, as in the rest of life, Barry sets a very high bar for himself. The only bummer about tomorrow is the game time: noon. It will be absurdly hot, and I have to leave my house at 7:30 to fetch the Ds and their men by 8, and make it to Joe Robbie before 9 --lest all the traffic ruin our day. And again -- being forced to drink before noon -- with bagels and lox. I really have to prepare myself... So 5774 is starting off swimmingly. The game is already great --regardless of who wins. I'll be surrounded by my Ds and closest friends. How the young men do on the field is secondary. Wifey was going to go, but realized it would be VERY hot. Plus, we're hosting a brunch for D2's boyfriend's family Sunday, and she wants the time to prepare. So it's Go Canes! The U is the nucleus around which so much of my wife depends... And tomorrow is going to be a great day.

No comments: