Monday, September 16, 2013

Cat Attack

My Florida sister LOVES cats. When you talk to her on the phone, you're frequently interrupted by her loving digressions about her cats visiting her, and doing cute things. She draws cats. She makes quilts featuring cats. She feeds feral cats who live in her development. She really loves cats. Alas, sometimes what you love the most hurts you the most, and last week it happened. She's already on the mend from a knee replacement, and was downstairs with one of her cat friends. She decided to clip the cat's claws, which she usually does in an upstairs room. Apparently the cat got spooked, and attacked her viciously --clawing her arm deeply. She cleaned the wounds and put on bandages, but a near CATastrophe followed. First she went to a walk in clinic, and the make believe doc there gave her some oral antibiotics and more bandages. But then a few days later, the therapist visiting for her knee looked at the arm, and directed my brother in law to the hospital. She spent 3 nights there, getting IV antibiotics. She was released today. I assume the cats claws will now be left alone. I never much cared for cats. When I was young, the next door neighbors had a black one named Jessica. I was petting Jessica, and the damn thing turned on me -- sinking a claw in to my arm. Luckily, no hospitalization followed, but since then, I give cats wide berth. It seems that when a dog is going to go after you -- you KNOW. It barks, and growls. I've never known of a dog getting petted when it attacks, suddenly. That said, animals are animals. Our sweet grand dog, the Spoiled Spaniel, once ran after a rat near our pool and would have killed it, had I not intervened. This sweet, fluffy dog is a KILLER. And sometimes, when I look into the soulful eyes of our weird looking rescue dog, it seems she's planning something. I'm not sure what, but if money goes missing, and tons of dog toys show up at my house via EBAY, I won't be surprised. Hopefully the dogs won't go for the jugular...

No comments: