Friday, September 13, 2013

Decisions, Decisions

My partner Paul (who continues to work at the law firm at a furious pace, while I take it easier) and I always said there was only one type of really BAD decision: treatment choices when you're diagnosedd with a terminal illness. Other than that, we always said, all decisions are reasonable -- even huge ones involving multi million dollar cases, or life choices. Last year our friend Diane sold her house through a realtor, after several realtors proved incompetent. The realtor, who I'll call Joanne, since that's her real name, impressed Wifey, though Wifey never met her. So, when our budding billionaire web business friends asked Wifey for a realtor, Wifey recommended Joanne. Joanne sold their house for over $3 million in a few weeks. I told Wifey to call Joanne, to get credit for the referral. Joanne said she wanted to come over and meet us, which she did this week. She brought a very nice bottle of wine, and asked if she could make a charitable donation in our honor to the charity of our choice. We liked Joanne immediately. She ended up staying and talking with us for hours. Based on her picture and last name, I always assumed Joanne was an old "Miamuh" WASP. Turns out she's s Southern Jew -- born and raised in Virginia. She came to Miami to attend the U in the 60s (she's 65 now, but looks 50), and married another Southern Jew. Her son from that marriage is now 39 and her partner in the business. Her next husband is ALSO sort of a Southern Jew -- he grew up on the Space Coast, the son of a NASA scientist. He has 2 grown kids from his last marriage, and he and Joanne have a great, grandparent intensive life in Coconut Grove. If Wifey and I move, it'll be to the Grove. We've always loved it there, and still do. When we go out, we tend to go there. Joanne told us how, when her kids left the house, she and her husband moved to a smaller house in the Grove, too -- a neighborhood off Le Jeune where the neighbors pay a monthly fee for extra police patrol. That's the problem with living in a non gated community there -- crime is an issue. But Joanne said not in her 'hood, and she knows all her eclectic neighbors -- retired ambassadors, ship captains, artists, etc... They love walking into the Village of the Grove --breakfast at the many cafes, dinner at the cool restaurants, just walking their dogs to the Bay. Next thing I knew, Wifey and I wereasking Joanne about selling our house. She took a quick tour and said she could sell it, for probably double what we paid, in a matter of months. So Wifey and I stated to talk: maybe it's time for a life change. We love our house, but we live in the boonies. You have to drive everywhere -- basically all there is to do is eat at a strip mall restaurant. In the Grove, so much we love to do would be within walking distance -- and other stuff we love -- like visiting Wynwood for Art Walks, would be 30 minutes less of a drive. So it beckons -- a new lifestyle --new places to explore -- more of a street life. NAH! I thought about it, and once again decided I love our house too damn much. Each time I come home, it's like entering my mother's arms. I love to walk my 'hood, even though I often am the only one out. Truth is -- as I age, I want to see people less and less! So for now, we're staying in Pinecrest. We moved here for the schools for the Ds, and that's no longer a concern. So we'll continue to drive to the Grove, and enjoy the scene, but then rerire back to the quiet of where we live. My 'hood has 2 90 somethings -- IRv and Bobbe -- and they're not going anywhere. They LOVE our 'hood. So I guess this 50 something hasn't really outgrown it yet, either. I love decisions that don't really matter...

No comments: