Sunday, September 1, 2013

Childless Labor Day

As my law partner Paul pointed out, Wifey and I spend a LOT of time with our kids --even though we're empty nesters. We're lucky to have D1 living 30 minutes away, and D2 is here a lot, when she's not globe trotting to Spain or Canada. But not this weekend. D1 is on a cruise with her boyfriend, and D2 is up in Gville. So it's just Wifey and me -- the way it was for the first 5 years of our relationship. That's right -- we met 30 years ago this month. I was a naive 22 year old starting law school, and Wifey was 26. At the time the age difference wasn't a big deal. In fact, the summer before I met Wifey I dated a pharmacist at the hospital where I had a summer job -- and she was 11 years my senior. So compared to her --Wifey was a child. But now, when I ask D1 or D2 if they'd go out with a guy who was 21 or 17, respectively, they look at me like I'm nuts. Wifey is much closer to 60 than 50. I'm not sure how I'll handle it when she gets to that milestone. Probably by drinking heavily... Anyway, we went out last night with our friends Steve and Susan, to our new local favorite, Salvatore. The food and company were excellent. Their boy Spencer is D2's friend -- and now a senior at the U. He has an older brother, Ryan, who is working at the U after graduating last year, and a 3rd auxilliary child, Erin, who is a high school senior. We compared notes as helicopter parents, and then went over to their dog infested house, where their enormous sheep dog mix sat on my lap. Erin was there, and we chatted about her college plans. I have a feeling she'll attend the U, too, like her parents and older brothers. Today Wifey and I are headed out to visit her Dad at the nursing home, and from there up to Boca to see a movie with Dr. Eric and Dana, at Mizner Park. I haven't been there in 15 years. Apparently now they have a theatre where you recline, and they bring you blankets and popcorn -- like a Business Class transcontinental flight. I figure if the movie is boring, as I find most of them these days, it'll be a fine nap. I AM getting old. Tomorrow the Labor Day movie thon continues -- we're going with Ken and Joelle to see a British "Big Chill" flick in the Grove, after a dinner. Ken suggested Indian, which is the one food both Wifey and I dislike. So it'll be sandwiches instead. So the point is, we CAN have fun in the Ds absence. But D1 is due in port tomorrow, and D2 is coming Thursday night, for the Jewish New Year AND Canes/Gators. It's hot as hell, but Fall with the family is the best time...

No comments: