Thursday, August 26, 2010

Weather or Not

It's been raining all night and this morning. About 5 am, there was brilliant lighting and booming thunder. I awoke and thought of my cowering 14 year old Labrador --she hates T storms, and I knew she was shaking in the family room. I was going to go comfort her, when I decided to stay in bed --I've been doing enough for my bitches these days...

Late August in Miami always seems to mean rain. Usually it's not hurricanes, but it's typically many rainy days.

I remember the start of my junior year of college --August of 1981. I was living on campus at UM, and it poured for a week straight. My roommates and I stayed in our apartment drinking beer, studying a little, and discussing matters of deep significance. That remains my favorite thing to do in the rain.

The D2 are moved out, and our house is still upside down. The installers from Dolphin Carpet and Tile came yesterday and began work on D1's room, which is slated to become my office and library.

Wifey and I sat in it 2 nights ago. It's truly the most beautiful room in the house. It's filled with glass doors and windows, and you look out onto our gorgeous foliage.

I made a rule --I'm only going to play classical or jazz music on the Bose Wave radio I'll keep in the room. Wifey asked about when I'm not there --she wants to play oldies rock. No, I told her --you have to stay out. That won't happen.

Any married man knows that women are pretty fungi in your life --they spread out and eventually over run every surface. That's fine...

I spent yesterday with my partner Paul taking the depo of an expert in a products liability case we have going. We represent a burned construction worker, and we sued the company where the offending tool came from.

The depo and case are interesting. There are big damages, and the litigation of the case requires a pretty sophisticated amount of strategizing --who to sue, who to settle with, how to present the client (a multiple convicted felon) etc...

And yet, as I sat in the depo, it occurred to me that I'd have preferred to be in a dentist's chair. I'm completely over being a lawyer! I didn't even like being in a room with other lawyers. Even the pretty court reporter was no succor to my jaded, bored soul...

I thought about my parter's son Alex, who was a rising star at Miami's top law firm. He was not yet 30 and making big bucks. His bosses loved him. He was handling high level corporate cases. He told me "Dave --if I don't leave the practice, I'm going to kill someone or myself."

I feel him, as my client might say...

So, out in the rain today. I'm meeting my sister and brother in law at the ALF, with Mom. She's being assessed, and then we'll begin the process of convincing her she needs to move there. I guess I have at least one more lawyer job left to do...

No comments: