Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Day That Will Live in Infamy

As my friend Norman reminded us on FaceBook (tm) today, August 24th is the anniversary of Hurrican Andrew. It was 18 years ago this morning.

In the days before the storm, the predictions were that it would hit around Palm Beach County. I drove up to Delray to fetch my old mother, and bring her to safety. Ha! I dragged her to Kendall --the heart of the storm.

I remember beign afraid that such a frail old lady was going through the maelstrom. That was 18 years ago! Compared to her condition today, she was ready to run a marathon.

As the winds intensified, we huddled in baby D2's room. It was on the NW side of the house, and we figured the winds would be weakest. I remember saying to Wifey how strange it was that animals were fighting up on the roof. It was a grotesque screeching sound I'll never forget. It was the sound of the roof deck being pried off of the beams...

Things got truly scary. We had the old Mom, D1, who was 3, and D2, who was 7 months old. The glass atrium inthe center of our house imploded, and shattered glass flew everywhere. A picture window high in our bedroom was pierced by a flying piece of wood. Anyone in that room would have died Monty Python style...

The ceilings all filled up with water, and collapsed. The ceiling above us was at bursting point. I grabbed all of us and made a beeline to the car in the garage. I figured that ceiling would collapse, too, but at least we'd have the metal roof of the car to give us some protection.

Wifey got in the front, holding D2. Grandma and D1 were inthe back. I got in the driver's seat. The windows were open. Our dogs, 90 pound black lab Midnight, and 20 lb Cocker Spaniel Alfred jumped into our laps. If they could have spoken, they'd have exclaimed "F This. We ain't staying out here alone!"

We watched the heroic gay Seminole Bryan Norcross on a battery TV, and he really kept us calm, explaining what was happening and what to expect.

The low pressure and our nerves sent Wifey and me each to a perilous run to the bathroom.

The garage ceiling held, and the storm passed as the sun rose. I stepped outside and saw what I imagine the survivors of Hiroshima saw. Total devastation. We had huge trees nour backyard that blew in from 2 houses away. 1/2 of our house was literally blown apart and away...

I got on a bicycle and pedaled the 2 miles North to my in laws. Their house, much better built than ours, and North of the worst winds at 112 Street, was in much better shape. They were fine. Compared to the Nazi camps, this little T storm was nothing to them...

I pedaled home, and took Wifey, the Ds, and my Mom to my in laws' house, where we spent a hot day and night. They'd be without power for nearly a month, but refused to move away.

We went to Delray for a few nights, and then Wifey's friend Linda, in one of the most clutch mitzvahs anyone ever did for our family, went to her Brickell apartment manager and put down a deposit for a unit for us, assuming we'd need it.

We did. We lived there for 3 months, and D2 learned to walk and then run down the long hallways. In December, we used insurance money to buy my in laws' house, and we lived there for over a year, as our house was rebuilt.

D1 started kindergarten. She made friends. D2 had her toddlerhood...

Our house was completed in March of 1994. We were displaced nearly 2 years.

In November of that year, I started my law firm with my partner Paul. A lot changed.

May we never see another storm in Miami like that one.

I like my hurricanes in pads and helmets, on the field, beating other teams...

No comments: