Saturday, August 7, 2010

Hot Hurricanes

So Mike's big crossover SUV pulled up outside Villa Wifey this am, but Mike was sitting in the passenger seat. His boy Chris was driving! I wondered how that was possible, as Chris is about 7. Mike explained that, through some process of warped time and our aging, he just turned 15 and got his learner's permit.

I climbed into the vehicle and thanked the both of them for making me feel even older.

We headed to UM for a Canes practice. At 8 am it was hot, Africa hot. We sat in the bleachers and watched our boys go through drills. It soom became apparent why the Canes and Dolphins have such an advantage over northern teams as the season progresses --practicing in our heat is brutal.

The team looked big, and fast. The new recruit Henderson looked ENORMOUS. He blocked a few defenders well enough. I guess we'll know soon if he's ready to play in college...

We were soon joined by Amanda and Spencer, D2's close friends. Amanda's heading off to USC, and Spencer will be a Cane. We chatted about their upcoming college careers. Spencer's moving onto campus, to the same building I lived in my first semester. I bored them both with some nostalgic tales...

After about 45 minutes, we all left the field to the players. We were roasting in the am sun. Amanda and Spencer left to go ice skating. I thought this choice showed great wisdom. Mike, Chris, and I headed to Wagon's West.

We ate well in the blessedly air conditioned restaurant. We agreed we were happy the first Canes game was at night.

Wifey, D1, and Thomas left for a reading program at the Pinecrest Library. They brought Madeleine along --she's a therapy pup! Wifey is heading to visit her parents, and to talke her mom to a movie. I sent regards...

The Saturday Herald is calling, and probably a nap. Good ole' Saturday morning...

No comments: