Saturday, August 28, 2010

Everybody Let Their Hair Down...

...as John Lennon sang, in "I've got a Feeling." I've always loved that song, because of its simple and obvious message: we're all in the same boat.

We might think we're special, or unique, in our suffering or our triumphs, but we're not.

My college friend Tere brought that message home to me this am. She has a blog, better than mine, because it has neat photos and cool links. Tere, along with Dr. Barry, are the two best writers who are also doctors, I know.

Tere's a local girl, who was her high school valecictorian, and then came to the U where we were next door neighbors. We were always kindred spirits, in many ways.

Tere became a wildly succesful radiologist, and lives in San Diego with her husband and 3 kids. Her husband is a stay at home father, and they have a delightful life out there, with a gorgeous home and far trendier friends than I have (they get together for gourmet cooking parties --I never outgrew pizza and beer).

But this am Tere commented about her aging and decling mother, who will soon need to go to Assisted Living.

Like me, Tere is the main care giver for her mother, who sadly has Alzheimer's Disease. Her mother has been living with Tere and her family, but its becoming too much of a burden, especially since Tere's kids are still young.

But, she's slugging through it, as I am, and the clear lesson is that, if you assume the responsibilities of a decent person, to take care of your family, then that's just the way it is. And there's nothing unique about it...

We're having a reunion party of our old on campus apartment --22. Sadly, Tere can't make it back East -- one of her partners is out on maternity leave, and vacations are off limits in her practice for now.

Still, as we gather, I'll toast my old friend, whose life has been so richly blessed. And, like all of us, also peppered with sadness and trial.

No comments: