Friday, March 26, 2010

What Do May Flowers Bring?

Wifey and I have been walking around the neighborhood most evenings, lack of laziness permitting.

Last night, the scent in the air brought my back in my mind to Spring on Long Island.

I have no idea why. Long Island had no ficus trees, or palms, and certainly no plentiful mango trees in bloom, but somehow the mixture of botanical smells combined to, at least in my unsophisticated scent memory, evoke northern deciduous tree buds, and forsythia, the yellow first flowers to bloom around the house where I grew up.

I used to walk a lot on Long Island, in the 70s. First, you couldn't drive until you were 17, and as adolescence drew late, there was something uncool about riding a bicycle.

I guess it embedded in me a love of walking, even though Long Island is a famously car dependant place.

This morning there was a passing storm. The rain poured down with an intensity typical of Miami summer afternoons. A cold front is coming. I wonder if it's the last of the season --we've had the coldest winter in the 31 years I've lived here.

Spring Break starts next week for D2, and she's celebrating by staying home today. I asked whether there were classes. "For losers," she replied.

That's my girl! I was worried about her acute lack of laziness, as she strove for college admission, and even after she was accepted by most schools. I'm glad to see she's comnig around to her father's inherent nature of loafing off when possible, and procrastination most of the time...

I guess I'll slouch into my office for a few hours. An elderly wheeler dealer car victim is coming in, referred by a commercial lawyer friend of ours.

He sent ahead a dossier about his case, including computer color enhanced versions of the crash report. He's not hurt too bad. I want nothing to do with him. My partner will spend a few hours with him, getting into his being, and then we'll refer him out.

Life's too short to deal with problem clients.

Especially when there's a host of freshly washed plant scents to sample, while out on a walk...

No comments: