Thursday, March 18, 2010

St. PAddy's Day

I grew up in a part of Long Island, where you were either Jewish, Italian, or Irish. I guess there were WASPs, but I didn't know any. In fact, when were real little, and discussed religion, it was "Are you Jewish or Catholic?" Years later there were things known as Protestant, or Christian...

So, from an early age, St. Patrick's Day was a holiday I knew about. We'd wear green that day, lest the likes of Miss Dempsey or Mrs. O'Brien pinch us, and tell us it was a leprechaun.

As I became an adult, I realized that any holiday that involved drinking with friends and the banishment of snakes was a winner.

About 10 years ago, I happened to be in NYC for St. Patrick's Day. I was staying at the old Plaza hotel, and watched the huge parade of cops and firemen swaying down 5th Avenue. I ended up in one of the many overflowing pubs, and drank a few Guinnesses with the revelers. It was a gray, cold day, with a fine mist of a rain. It's still one my fondest memories of NYC.

Last night, I was feeling in the mood. I called Wifey, and told her I'd pick her up at the front gate. We drove over to Flanagan's (of course) and at 5 pm they were setting up the outdoor tables and pouring green beer. She put our name on a list for a table, and was told it would be a 1/2 hour. I went to the bar and ordered an Amber Bock. Wifey doesn't drink, so she watched me and the scene, which was rapidly becoming festive. Plus, the NFL network was playing old Dolphin games, so the locals were also getting melancholy.

After 40 minutes, Wifey went to check on our table. She was told it would be 30 minutes. When she protested, the host said "Hey --it's St. Paddy's Day!" I finished my beer and we left, to walk down the shopping center to Wagon's West, where I had seen a sign when I parked that they had corned beef and cabbage.

At WW we were among a handful of fellow Flanagan's refugees. I had a bowl of split pea soup, and then a serviceable corned beef and cabbage. I had my second beer -- a Guiness from a bottle.

I started getting all wistful, and telling Wifey how much I loved her, and how happy I was at this point in our lives, with the Ds grown, and starting their adult lives, and how the best decision I'd made in a life of almost all good decisions was marrying her, and having her be the mother of my children, and then we shared some blueberry pie and vanilla ice cream, and then left for home.

And so, another St. Patrick's Day has passed, and for us, it was a fine one. Passover is coming up soon. Maybe we'll have corned beef...

No comments: