Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Day of Unsettling Occurences

It was raining at the office yesterday, and my metro partner was all dressed up, and so I agreed to go to the Grille by car, lest we get wet.

We were enjoying our lunches, when he noticed a retired judge I know and like quite a bit. He invited him over, with his younger lawyer lunch companion, a fellow my partner knows pretty well.

I hadn't seen His Honor in 10 years. He's now 79, and a very frail 79. He was walking with a cane, but still dressed for court, although he retired, and works part time for a big Downtown firm.

He stood next to me, and we reminisced, both about one of my former bosses, who he didn't much care for, and the Judge's infamous 8 am hearings, designed so that most later rising lawyers would do whatever possible to avoid waking up a 6 to attend.

All of a sudden, the judge's eyes went blank, and he sort of slumped down. I grabbed him, and led him into the booth next to me. IT was like he had a small stroke.

Fortunately, he recovered quickly, and apologized for "feeling a bit dizzy." I acted like the whole event never happened, and resumed our talk.

He was one of my favorites. Although he had a reputation for being more friendly to the defense, he was brilliant and well prepared. He always reminded me of Mel Brooks, and peppered all of his hearings with sharp, witty comments, in the presence of his British born bailiff, who to me always resembled Harvey Korman!

Old age sucks.

In the afternoon, I made the mistake of meeting a boorish guy for dinner and drinks. He's an acquaintance I tried to fix up with my assistant/friend Mirta a few months ago, and he spent the entire date staring at the ample chest of Mirta's attractive friend, who came along.

This fellow wanted to "take me out" to thank me for that dinner, and I relented.

Surprise. He got amazingly drunk, and stared at the chest of ANOTHER of Mirt's attractive friends, who happened to be at the same pub. I ended up picking up the check again for this putz.

He called today to thank me for dinner, and to tell me I needn't have worried --he got home fine. I wasn't worried.

Boorish drunks suck.

So, today the sun is shining brightly, and music fills the house as Wifey sets the Passover table.

We have dinner plans with our friends Diane and Charley. I know there'll be no boorishness, and hopefully no passing out...

No comments: