Friday, March 12, 2010

Busy Busy Busy

I have a friend who rarely has time to meet me for coffee. I ask him to meet me every month or so, and he is always "busy." Dr. Barry, my truly busiest friend, is a father, husband, and has, essentially two full time jobs. He always seems to find the time to get together.

The first fellow hasn't worked in over a decade and a half. He's been out on the type of generous disability policy they used to sell in the 80s, and haven't since that hair band era. He volunteers a lot, and is on many community committees. In his view --very busy.

I always chuckle at people's own distorted view of how much they truly have to do. My mother, nearing 90 and with truly, objectively, nothing she HAS to do, always says she keeps busy.

I used to be busy. When I started my law firm in 1994, I'd work long hours, and then in the evenings socialize with folks who might send me business. Ah --busy-ness! Then I'd come home to Wifey and the Ds, and always find the time to enjoy with them.

These days --not so much. My firm is slow, and I have PLENTY of time . I'm enjoying the pace. And I'm proud of it.

I guess the remnants of our Protestant work ethic make laziness a sin. Whenever someone calls me, they say "Well, I KNOW you're very busy, but..." Not really, no. I have plenty of time!

The old cliche of "If you need something done, ask a busy person to do it" is very true in my case. When I was overloaded with stuff to do, there was always a way to fit in another task or commitment.

Now, I notice that when I ask someone with truly little going on to take on another job, it throws them for a loop.

I spoke to an old acquaintance recently about empty nesterhood. He has 2 kids a little older than the Ds --his boy is a 4 year old lawyer, and his daughter approaching 30. He's the founding partner of a successful law firm, and he said that he's been working more than he ever did. "What am I going to do --spend all that time with my WIFE???" He asked the rhetorical question as if it was akin to volunteering for more dental work.

We'll see. I guess we'll always see. But for now, I'm just sitting on the dock of the proverbial upper class suburb dock of the bay. And I like it.

No comments: