Friday, March 19, 2010

The Big 9-OH

My mother's turning 90 this April, and we just booked my California sister on a flight to come visit for her celebration. Ninety. That's a lot of years.

Mom doesn't want a big party. I guess that's because everything has become so daunting for her. She just wants her favorite, lobster, and a small gathering of her family. She never orders lobster when she's out by herself --she's far too frugal. But I guess in April, she'll let us do it.

It's funny --longevity is supposedly something we desire, and almost everyone I talk to "doesn't want to live that long." Mom has outlived a husband, and long time companion. She's outlived all but her youngest sibling. She's outlived most of her friends.

When she moved in to her current home, she was 59, and my Dad was 60. They were retired, which to me, then 18, meant elderly. All of their neighbors, in the "55 and Over Only, Please" community were old, it seemed. It's mind blowing to be old, and then live another 31 years.

Today, Wifey and I are taking her to a doctor, an oncologist of all things. She has slow growing skin cancer, the type of disease she'll die with, not from. But, it's on her feet, and may take away her ability to walk.

She's been really declining this last year or so. She's literally wasting away, in front of us. I agree with those who comment --I don't want to live that long, either.

But for now, Mom keeps on chugging along. I'm going to tell her today that all three of her kids will be with her on her birthday. That will make her smile, I'm sure.

She's been one of the luckiest people I know. She's always had tremendous gratitude for all in her life. Other than losing a husband of nearly 40 years, she's dealt with little loss. My father left her enough money to make it for more nearly 30 years after his death.

I hope her luck continues, and her final days are as comfortable as they can be. And then, next month, we'll celebrate a true milestone.

No comments: