Sunday, December 9, 2007

Smokin' Cousins

Wifey's cousin from LI was in town, so last night we met him, his wife, and his brother and sister in law for dinner. We went to the Chart House in Coconut Grove, and had a lovely time.

The conversation was essentially "whose parents are crazier and weirder." Mark and Sandy's father is my father in law's brother, and the two men survived the Holocaust together. They share, unfortunately, certain characteristics of those whose families were taken and killed at a young age, and who had to scrape and fight to survive. The manifestations of these experiences, over 60 years later, are pretty comical.

For example, neither man can talk normally. They bark, and bark again before the "listener" has a chance to respond. Sandy and Mark LOVED the story I told about my friend Barry coming upon my father in law in a Borders cafe, and calling me the next day to tell me he sas in a huge shouting match with another old guy. I told Barry that was just the way the two brothers spoke to each other.

Anyway, we walked through the Grove, and the 2 brothers and their wives, still clinging to their youth, walked into a legendary "Head Shop" there. When they came out, Wifey and I were talking to a friend and his son from our 'hood. The son had a new job --working for ATF! Everyone laughed at the fact that the son was hopefully "off duty."

We came home, and daughters #1 and #2 were awake, so we all lay in bed together talking, and savoring the togetherness that time seems to steal from us.

Today is shaping up to be a lazy Sunday, and then back to the office tomorrow, for some more moving of papers from pile to pile.

Oh yeah --I had a mock heart attack Friday. More on that later.

No comments: