Sunday, December 2, 2007

Coupe Deville Hiding in the CrackerJacks Box

Early Sunday afternoon plods along like my Bassett Hound.

We went to a party in the neighborhood last night, where the guests were asked to bring donations to a food bank. The food bank is a glatt kosher one, since contrary to popular opinion, there ARE some very poor Jews in Miami. We brought some diapers and wipes, and I joked that these were kosher, too. I got a few chuckles.

I met an interesting woman from Inwood, in northern Manhattan. She has a chemical engineering degree from Manhattan College, and a MBA from NYU. She's Irish American, and married to an enormous Israeli man, who's in the watch business. She converted, and the two of them moved here from Connecticut a few years ago for her job as an executive with the Latin America branch of a big US company.

Her family lived on Dyckman Street in NY, a street where my family lived after WW II. She tells me the neighborhood is mostly Dominican now.

Speaking of which, we then chatted with our newest neighbors, an oil company executive and his wife, both of whom are Dominican. It turns out that Susan, the NY Irish Jewess, had worked in the oil industry, and she and Pablo chatted about that for awhile. PAblo and Carolina just moved here from Amsterdam, with their 3 beautiful children.

We were joined by Ofra, another Israeli American, and next thing I knew, the Jews were explaining to the Dominicans the concept of the Bris. I told PAblo that if I had to convert to Judaism, that would have been a deal breaker for me. Susan agreed, and said she only had to take a ritual bath in a mikvah.

So, a lovely evening with a diverse group, one of the joys of living in Miami.

Speaking of joys of living, the Dolphins game starts soon, and my napping sofa beckons me...

The title of today's entry? I was watching a great Meat Loaf interview this morning, and he sang "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad."

No comments: