Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Any Man's Death Diminishes Me

 So on my birthday last month, I mentioned to Jeff that I was planning on having breakfast at Wagon's West, a local greasy spoon soon to close, to no sadness from me. The owner Walter is a crusty old guy, the food mediocre, and on said birthday he always promised a free breakfast, which he refused me since I didn't respond correctly to his FaceBook offer. Putz -- glad he's closing.

But Jeff was there, to meet an old friend of his, and he invited me to join them. About 20 minutes later, a tall, thin, older fellow came by -- Avron. We liked each other immediately.

Jeff's known Avron for years through their work in the local Jewish community. Avron was late 70s,and had a great career as a Dade County Schools Music teacher, and later as a cantor and musician at local temples. He has a parrot that recited the Shema in Hebrew.

We played geography, and knew at least 50 people in common. It turns out he taught music to several of the Ds friends, and most of my friend Norman's kids and nephews and nieces.

He was a gentle soul, and extremely bright and well informed. He told me that he was "huge" and 10 years ago had bariatric surgery -- it changed his life. I noticed he ordered egg whites and dry white toast. I told him one of my girls was a dietitian, but, alas, I was not one of her good clients.

We must have sat for 2 hours, and I enjoyed it tremendously. Avron had also taught at UM Music School, and had great tales of his time there.

He had never married, and had no kids. I asked Jeff later -- I kind of assumed he was a closeted gay man. But who cares? He affected literally thousands of kids in such a positive way, and was still doing it as of last month.

I told Jeff to invite me next time he met Avron for a breakfast or lunch -- though not at Wagon's West -- that bastard.

Well today, I checked FaceBook (tm) and saw a post from Avron's page -- he died today! Oh man. I only just met him that one meeting, but I was still shocked and saddened. 

I guess one of his friends had access to his page, and shared the sad news -- his funeral is tomorrow, at the funeral where my suegros are buried.

I called Jeff -- he had just heard the news as well, and didn't know any circumstances. Clearly it was something sudden -- heart attack or stroke, or maybe aneurysm. Who knows?

I'm glad I got to meet this terrific man, but feel a bit cheated I didn't get to know him better. His memory will be a blessing.

And once again, the sage words of Warren Zevon, spoken after he got his terminal cancer diagnosis: Enjoy every sandwich.

I fully intend to.

No comments: