Monday, August 21, 2023

The Kinder Leave

 So yesterday D2 and I put in a "complicated order" at Joanna's, ahead of the arrival of D1 and her 3 men. She accompanied me to the local gourmet market -- the owner is actually one of the Zabar granddaughters, and we learned the sad truth: they had run out of plain bagels, which is what Joey and the ravenous toddler had ordered. No problem -- except they offered sesame, which the toddler is allergic to. "No!" D2 and I almost shouted in unison -- white baguettes would have to do.

Anyway, for some reason the usually well run Joanna's was discombobulated, and the 11 am pickup, which of course I was on time for, turned into 1140. It gave D2 and I the chance to do some sociological observation of some of the Pinecrest grandmas -- late 60 to 70 year old women trying desperately yet ultimately futilely to look like they were in their 30s. D2 was much nicer than I about this -- but could tell she got a kick out of some of them as well.

Man. Just gracefully age! I have gray hair and a prodigious belly -- I wear both with the pride that comes from having lived into my early 60s. One woman passed, having had so much plastic surgery, that I wondered how she didn't melt in the Miami summer heat.

Finally, the order was ready, and there was an extra California sandwich -- with turkey and avocado. The cashier asked if I wanted it -- it was huge and cost $17.99. I replied I would take it for free, and she agreed, and so I felt I was properly compensated for the mess ups and delay. I will wait a LONG time for a free gourmet sandwich.

We returned home, and soon the house was lively -- with the world's best baby, and energy producing toddler. I took the bigger one to feed the fish and turtles, and he talked and moved nonstop -- switching from English when he was with me, to Spanish when Joey was there. He is, to my completely subjective eye -- absurdly adorable.

After lunch, where we sat around the kitchen table, a granite circle we brought from our old house, games of hide and seek were played, videos were watched, and basketballs were shot -- and we were told by the toddler each time he made a basket, all of us, Mommy, Daddy, Grandpa Dev, and Tia D2, were to say "Yay!" Ah -- a first born. We complied.

The baby went in for a nap, and I poured Joey a beer and myself the last of the huge bottle of Stoli Elit D2 and Jonathan bought me. I have another from D1 and Joey as a spare. Joey and I took the toddler on a wagon walk around the block, seeing lots of peafowl, before the rain started, and the toddler said it would be "a good idea" to return home. It was indeed.

Meanwhile, Jonathan was up in the air, returning from Arizona, and Wifey was in her room in Colorado. Around 1 pm her time, I guess she remembered us, and responded to a text, and we FaceTimed with her. I could tell her back pain was apparent -- I just really, really hope it lessens and this is NOT the beginning of a third intifadeh.

I took the name for the Palestinian terror periods to describe Wifey's 2 past periods of debilitating back pain. One was, I think, from '04 to '06, and the second was during much of D2's college years -- '10 though '14. During those two intifadehs, Wifey was mostly homebound -- weekly trying different modalities of therapy, physical and otherwise, and seeing just about every good neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeon in Miami. To help along recovery in the first intifadeh, I think it was, she went to Orlando for an intensive every day PT regimen, staying at a hotel, where her friend Elizabeth, and then I, visited.

She missed out on so much, including just about all of D2's college visits. It was a dark time. Since the second intifadeh ended, in '14 or so, most of her back tweaks last just a day or so. This one started a few days before she left for the wedding I was uninvited to, and still persists, now going on day 10. Hopefully she improves. Unlike the last 2 intifadehs, where the Ds were grown, mostly, now Wifey is needed for active grandmother duty, and it will really stink if she misses out. I hope this doesn't happen -- especially since I know it will have been brought about by the stress of such a silly thing.

Anyway, at about 4, D1 and her men left for home, and the Sunday night rituals before a school day today. D2 stayed a bit longer, we each ate some of the remaining sandwiches, and then she left for Miami Beach, with the enormous dog, after she straightened up the place. Jonathan was due home soon.

D2 reminded me she was around all week, if I got lonely, and I assured her I have a full dance card -- dinner with different friends each evening, and a work day or two in between. Tonight I meet Mirta -- probably at the Falls, and I have a strong feeling the week without Wifey will fly by quickly.

As I was enjoying the quiet of the post visit evening, Paul called, from Long Island, to ask after me. He said it sounded like I was doing just fine -- and once again reminded me how lucky I am to have both my kids living in the 305. I am unendingly aware.

So this am a walk in the heat and humidity beckon, and then a few errands out and about.

The house really IS quiet this am.

No comments: