Saturday, August 19, 2023

Naked Shabbos

 So yesterday was a banner one. D2 and I took Wifey's SUV, on account of it has a child seat installed, and drove up to Shorecrest, where we played with the BBITW (best baby in the world). And then D1 joined us -- for an instructional trip on picking up the adorable toddler at preschool.

We drove to the lovely charter place. Earlier, I had told my friend Joel about D1's plans for the school, and Joel was aghast. You CANNOT do that, he said. He sent his kids to Ransom and Gulliver, and through that they made connections with the local billionaires. One must do that!

Ha. Just the opposite, in my view. Public schools give kids a taste of the real world. Years ago, Fortune published a study -- the vast majority of CEOs attended large public colleges -- places where they learned the people skills necessary to lead large companies. The Ivies produce academics and investment bankers...

Anyway, the toddler bounded out, happy to see us, and we stopped at UPS on the way home. When we arrived, more play time with the little brother, and later neighbor and his bud Tommy, the Venezuelan boy across the street.

Joey came home, and we poured a few pre shabbos drinks. I then texted Dr. Barry -- would he care to stop by on his way home? He would -- knowing how bereft I must be with Wifey out of town at the wedding that banned me.

He arrived just ahead of the Ubereats ordered Italian food, from a great place in MiMo - -D1 and Joey's mostly gentrified 'hood.

D1 spread out the adult beverage offerings. There was a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue. Wow -- where did that come from? "DAd --you bought it for us for Valentine's Day!" So I did, and now it got cracked open, for Barry and Joey to have a few fingers' worth.

D1 put the baby to sleep, and Joey took the toddler upstairs for his nightly bath, while D1, D2, Barry and I ate the delicious pizza, calzone, chicken parm, and gnochi. It was exquisite -- he has known them their entire lives, and gets the same thrill seeing them as grown ass adults as I do being with his boys.

We talked about Scott -- who is in Greece with his future suegros. Wow. My suegros never even paid for one of my meals once I finished grad school -- let alone spirited me to Santorini! Ya gotta marry right.

It got dark, and Barry was ready to leave, but I hoped he might wait for Joey and the toddler -- so we could light shabbos candles together, which they do each Friday. 

Sure enough, down bounded an ebullient naked child -- squeaky clean from his bath -- Joey following. He loves being naked, like many toddlers, as well as, I pointed out, his late great grandmother.

My mother, at home, loved being without clothes. My Dad used to admonish her: "Sunny -- get dressed -- David will think all girls look like you naked -- it will turn him gay!" These were pre-politically correct times. And it didn't turn me gay -- I was able to learn that in fact young women didn't look like my dear old Mom sans clothes.

So the toddler climbed into his ladder seat, D1 lit the candles, Joey, Barry, and I donned our kippahs, and the prayers were said, followed by a rousing "Shabbat shalom, Hey!"

I had only had 2 small Ketels, but I felt the presence of the Big Man -- surrounded by my sacred people. I wished Jonathan was there, too, but he was in Arizona with his buds. I'm guessing there were no naked shabbot candle lighting -- at least I hope not.

We drove home, and I collapsed on the couch. D2 noted maybe I ought to go to bed, and she was correct -- I slept from 10 straight through to 6 -- 8 hours uninterrupted! That's no easy feat for my aging tuches.

And then, at 6, I thought -- why get up? And I slept more -- until 930! It was the most and best sleep I've had in awhile. I think the special shabbos had the effect.

Today, D2 and I have no plans -- just hanging with the 3 dogs -- maybe a walk later, if the heat isn't too oppressive. I'll convince her to have dinner at one of my favored "old people restaurants" -- maybe Captain's Tavern.

Tomorrow, D1 and her men are due over, and the toddler has already put in a request for "bagel...with SALMON!" I shall comply -- there will likely be wagon rides in store for both boys -- I'll prepare a few to go cups for Joey and myself as we navigate the iguana and peafowl infested streets.

D2 and Betsy and D1 and her men will leave -- and then I get a full week of bachelorhood. I already filled my dance card -- dinner each night with different friends.

Like the great 70s disco song, I will survive!

And last night's naked shabbos -- well -- that one was as adorable as it gets.

No comments: