Saturday, August 12, 2023

Jewish Geography Over the Decades

 So Thursday I was at the gym, waiting for my trainer Jonathan, and I noticed 2 children sitting by the water cooler. As I am Casper the Friendly Dad (Now Grandpa) per the Ds, I asked Jonathan's whose kids they were. He didn't know, but then a woman came over and happily said "They're mine."

I correctly guessed that she had brought them since we were in the break between camp and school starting -- I knew this because my toddler grandson goes to a "Stopgap" camp in Aventura. The young Mom said I was indeed correct, and we started chatting.

She was a Rheumatologist, and sure enough knew our neighbor who shares her medical specialty. Her husband is a lawyer for Burger King, and I know his boss. We exchanged names as we greeted, and I heard her say "Lipson." Wait --was she related to Rabbi Norman Lipson? Indeed she was -- he was her father. "Guess what? He married my wife and I nearly 37 years ago!"

I told her the story of our fake Rabbi, who I call Mark Kram, since that's his name, and how I knew Mark from UM's Hillel. Mark was all excited to perform our wedding -- even made Wifey and I (she wasn't Wifey yet) have pre marital meetings before the ceremony, with him and his comically named wife Mindy. Get it? Mark and Mindy? It was funny at the time.

Anyway, after all of his platitudes about the importance of our now shared Jewish community -- he dipped one week before our wedding -- for a free trip to Israel, since a Federation participant had gotten sick. I was in disbelief. Had he never been? Oh -- many times -- but he REALLY liked going.

Ok -- who would he recommend as a replacement at this late date? No one -- as a Hillel rabbi, he really wasn't "connected " to the local Miami Jewish community at that time. Asshole.

Anyway, I called Eric's Mom Norma, and she knew Rabbi Lipson. He was very nice, and incorporated the Bob Dylan lyrics we wanted into the service. We never saw him again, but learned he had a nice career up in Broward. Indeed -- he founded a Weston temple, and now is retired in Parkland, according to his daughter the doctor. I asked her to send regards and thanks. She said she would.

Wow. Nearly 37 years -- that anniversary is coming up in January. And this week, in anticipation, Wifey is making me a bachelor for 10 days! She's off to her BFF's wedding outside of Denver. I was uninvited on account of I may act like a drunken lout and wreck the whole party -- so I get a taste of single manhood for a week and a half.

Well -- not totally. As Fate had it, Jonathan is off to Arizona for a pre wedding, REAL bachelor trip, and so D2 and the enormous dog will be moving in for the first weekend. Hopefully that Sunday D1 and her 3 men come over, and I host an epic single Dad afternoon. Alcohol will be involved -- but I don't think I'll wreck that party.

The final week, I plan on several incidents of what I really love -- dinner alone at a bar, watching ESPN. Mike, the bartender at Captain's Tavern, may see me, as well as the Asian young lady at Sea Siam who always remembers me as "the first coolest Jewish guy from Levittown, LI." Lou Reed is 2nd, and Billy Joel is third.

Also in the small world Department, today I was on my hot and humid constitutional, and I saw the rich widow Judy chatting with a woman with a chocolate Lab. Turns out the Lab Mom is the daughter in law of Sarah, who recently died after only several months of widowhood from her husband John. Turns out, she's a worker's comp defense lawyer in Broward, and uses my friend Jim as her main mediator.

I need to get her contact information -- I am on the lookout for your friends Mike and Sari's quest to join the Pinecrest area as young parents. Having them 4 houses away would be awesome!

Ah -- Miami Geography...


No comments: