Saturday, September 2, 2023

Good Times and Riches and RSV Jabs and Canes Games

 Friday I set my alarm for 545 am, in order to awake to drive D2 to MIA for an early flight to ATL. Jonathan had flown home overnight from Buenos Aires, for business, and he was meeting his wife for a Labor Day reunion with the ladies of Yellow House -- D2 and her 3 besties, and husbands.

I awoke at 530, as I expected. I inherited a strange characteristic from my Dad -- he would almost always awaken right before a set alarm clock time, as if his internal clock knew. I do the same.

I dropped her off, and drove for breakfast, and then headed to Walgreens for my RSV vaccine -- newly approved for people like me who are old as fuh so we don't die from this virus. After that, it was a quick trip to the liquor store for the night's supplies, and at 315 I left for JMH, to fetch Dr. Barry for our drive to Joe Robbie for the first Canes game.

Despite the clownish stadium staff's attempts to mess up our tailgating, we found Maria and Norman, helped put up two tents, and the season was ON. I made Norman do an Absolut shot, and my date, Jim, arrived with a case of Heinekken he had to schlep all the way from the Yellow lot -- fortunately Jim's in great shape. The crew joined us -- Chris, Eric, Dana, and their friends, Norman's brother Martin and nephew Brandon, and of course Paul. I had my few drinks and started kissing my male friends on their cheeks -- yeah -- I am at that age where I share how I really feel when all is right in the world and happiness is upon me.

And that tends to always happen at Canes tailgate parties.

We made our way to our Club seats, and watched a yawner of a game, but in a good way -- the Canes looked terrific, and dominated Miami of Ohio. The game was essentially over in the 2nd quarter, so we could enjoy our time together without that pesky game to bother us. It was more like fishing with friends than football,and that was fine.

We stayed until the end, and Barry and I made a few bathroom stops, to the humor of 25 year old Josh, who properly makes fun of older, prostate challenged men. Ah -- youth. What we are now someday he shall be, too.

I drove home listening to the post game, and went to bed around midnight, after a hot shower, and then...

I was overcome with shivers and muscle aches. Sure enough, the RSV jab effects got me. I thought about alerting Wifey, but she is involved with her own issues -- the return of the bad back -- and so figured I would either get better or proceed to anaphylactic shock. Luckily, it was the second -- by am -- I felt right as rain. Sure enough, a Google search showed that chills and fever is a common side effect of the RSV jab. I guess it meant the damn thing really did jog my immune system.

Our lovely long time cleaning lady Miriam came to do the outside areas of the house, and started asking me questions in the Spanish she thinks I speak but I really don't. And so I knew I had to flee.

Earlier, at a 4 am pee trip, I saw that the great Jimmy Buffet had died. Wow. That wasn't expected.

I first dug his music in high school, and when I came to UM, well, you HAD to be into his stuff. I well recall parties at our apartment where we sang "Volcano" together, fueled by rum.

I saw him probably 5 times -- at the Orange Bowl for a UM pep rally, the Miami Marine Stadium, and the best show -- which was free.

Wifey and my sister Trudy and brother in law Dennis had decided to take a Key West weekend, and noticed hundreds of absurdly dressed people. It was a Parrot Head convention -- devotees of Buffet meeting to party and raise funds for charity. I asked two middle aged women with parrot hats if Buffet attended -- no, she answered, but he usually sends a telegram of best wishes.

Well, we were walking home to our hotel, La Concha, on Duval, and saw people running down the street, like in a disaster movie. Turns out, Jimmy DID come, and had set up a stage on the street adjoining Sloppy Joe's. Thousands crowded there to watch him and the Coral Reefers, and it was terrific -- one of those amazing, kismet driven life moments.

An older guy on a Harley stood with us, as Dennis and I were watching the show. He was trying to get my sister Trudy to leave with him -- get on the back and drive to the Middle Keys after the show. Wifey laughed so hard she nearly passed out -- since Trudy's demeanor did NOTHING to invite the come-on.

We ended up befriending the guy -- he had just retired in Pennsylvania, and just got on his Harley to ride -- seeing the country. Trudy was NOT going to become his biker chick, but the memory is precious to all of us.

I texted Norman -- would he care to meet for lunch, so I could flee the house? He would -- LOL at noon, but as I was pulling in, Norman called an audible -- too long a wait. We instead repaired to the Hole in the Wall where we got fine burgers and wings and watched some college ball, deconstructing the Canes' performance last night, and reminiscing about Jimmy Buffet. Indeed, the Hole had only his music playing and it seemed a most appropriate way to honor his passing -- though no alcohol was involved.

I came home, and a football nap awaited me. I dreamed of Key West, and the Chart Room, my favorite bar, and where Jimmy first played when he arrived there in 1971.

He was 76. Not very old, but that's a man who packed a LOT of living into his years. He cultivated the laid back lifestyle of rum and chilling, and became a billionaire doing it. Not too shabby.

I think D1 and her men are visiting Monday, and so we'll get to enjoy our time with them. D2 and Jonathan come in later, and I have to Dadber to MIA to return them here, to fetch their Jeep and enormous dog.

Next Saturday there's another tailgate and game -- Canes get a test with Texas A and M. And the Jewish New Year awaits -- we'll celebrate with Joey's wonderful family. Yes -- the Fall -- best time of the year -- approaches.

And at least RSV probably won't get me!

No comments: