Monday, March 20, 2023

There Are Places I Remember...

 So since that stupid trial last week, and it's stupid preparation, the week has been one of reflection for me. I use the stupid term in honor of my late father in law Richard.  That was a go-to English word for him. He once grew frustrated while trying to figure out how to fix something, and said, in his heavy Polish/Yiddish accent: "This is a stupid house. Nothing works here!" It's become family lore, and whenever the Ds or Wifey or I are frustrated, we say his funny words.

I wrote Wifey an email yesterday, after D1 and her family left, and I told her that I've been talking so much I can't even stand the sound of my own words or even thoughts anymore. But they're still around.

It was a lovely Sunday. The hilarious toddler ate an enormous bagel  -- happily and quiet. D1 put the amazing baby down for a nap, and then D1, Joey, and well fed toddler left -- to visit comically wealthy friends in Pinecrest. The toddler got to ride in their 4 year old's mini Lambo, and played all over their gorgeous estate.

When the baby woke, Wifey and I spent the most glorious time with him -- redirecting his crawls towards danger, and partially fending off the many face licks he got from Betsy, a weekend dog guest, and Vienna, a regular. Dog saliva comes with being a baby in our family -- it's how the Ds were raised, and the tradition continues -- even though Joey, not a childhood dog owner, sometimes cringes. D1, the dietitian, assures him it's great for their biome, and she has won that battle.

The baby's family returned, and then left for home, with a bit of tensosity -- Joey's wallet was missing. We swept the house, but he had been all over our acre property, as well as the rich friends' acre, and they're due to leave for Bogota Tuesday. I tried to calm the uptight D1 -- all you really need is a passport -- but I could tell my poor son in law was in for a rough few days. And then came the great news -- the wallet was found! Funny how losing stuff like that seems monumentally awful these days -- I guess with all the electronic data on everything, it is.

As Wifey did her rock gleaning outside, I wandered into the living room -- trailed by enormous Betsy, of course, and sat for a bit and looked at our wedding album . Of course, it was over 36 years ago, but it was stunning to see how many of the guests at that happy night have left this mortal coil. Of course, they were old then -- early 60s like I am now -- and it was to be expected.

And then I looked at our bridal party -- a snapshot in time of who was closest to us then. I realized how lucky I am. Eric, Barry, Mike, and Jeff -- best friends from college and law school -- are still very much my brothers. Jeff and Mark, now docs in Central Florida and NY, are doing great, but I hear about them and vice versa only through FaceBook, and very infrequent visits. My nephew is now my ex nephew, as I refer to him.

Wifey did worse. Her friend Linda is still a friend, but they talk rarely and meet almost never. My niece, a courtesy to me addition as she was only 15, is also gone forever from our lives. Mimi lives locally but we never speak. Only Jeannette remains -- and Wifey spent a glorious day with her Saturday -- Jeannette and Bob live with their daughter Samantha, and her 2 kids, and Erica came by with her beautiful baby and a big belly -- grandchild number 4 is on the way!

I guess the obvious point is people come and go from our lives, from different stages and activities -- and that's ok. If we're lucky, we keep close with some for decades. When we lose them it hurts -- deeply.

Meanwhile, the Canes won and are headed to the Sweet 16! They've never gotten further than the Elite 8 -- it would be terrific if they made their first Final Four. Speaking of friends, we were all active on our Canes Squad chat group last night -- sharing thoughts of the game along with grossly politically incorrect humor. I enjoy the chats as much as the games, to tell the truth.

I look forward to our Little Men and their first airplane experience. I'll ask the Big Man to return them home safely from that terrible beauty that is Colombia.

And to borrow from the late, great John Lennon...in my life, I've loved them all...


No comments: