Monday, March 13, 2023

For Da Boids!

 So last Wednesday I spent an entire day at law work -- Zoom deposition attendance from 8 am through 4 pm for our and our enemy's experts. This craven lust for filthy lucre between lawyers is finally set for a hearing this coming Wednesday, so I have been doing an unusual amount of lawyer work lately. I have concluded that, if I was required to practice law full time to support my family now, I would become a barista instead, a word my Ds tell me I misprounounce as bareeeesta instead of barista. Whatever.


Fortunately, my side has the far superior expert -- probably the top med mal defense lawyer in Florida, who has graciously, spent many hours getting to know our case and putting together opinions that make my side look much better than we are. I feel terrible that this fellow has been roped into this, and hope to make it up to him someday.

The good news is that I told my doctor friends that, heaven forbid they ever get sued, they really, really want our expert on their side, as he truly has wisdom and skill. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

The opposing expert is a has been who basically opined that his opinions are what they are since they are his opinions. He seems like a nice enough older shaygetz kind of guy, but listening carefully to both sides, it was Supreme Court Justice versus Traffic Court Magistrate -- though indeed there ARE idiot SCOTUS members and, I'm sure, pretty bright Traffic Court Magistrates. But still...

So Wednesday I have to squeeze into one of my lawyer suits, head to the courthouse, and take part in the hearing. Hopefully we finish up in one day, but in my experience, if a lawyer can say something in one hour, it takes two, and so we will probably take the judge's time into Thursday.

This case should truly have settled last year, but the firm where Fredo took the case when he stole it is led by an advertising executive with a big ego. I learned, while awaiting my bivalent jab, from a young Cubana lawyer next to me that he did, or tried to, do the same thing to her -- a client left for his firm and there was a fee of $3000.  She was entitled to at least half, and he said she was "lucky to get $500." Alas, the smarmy jerk forgot to honor her lien, and so set himself up for a Bar complaint, and so he paid the half after all. He must figure if he can bully a young lawyer, why not bully us. Not so fast, dude.

The funny thing is, Paul and I have plenty of time -- and Stuart makes time, too. Our opponent is running a major ad law firm and I would think him loathe to take his staff away from new business to fight over significant, but not huge, dollars. He thinks I'm apathetic and sarcastic. Whatever.

Meanwhile, Sunday was a delightful day. D1 ordered Boulangerie from Uber Eats, and it arrived as she and her family did. D2 came with the enormous puppy -- Jonathan was with his family. We missed him, but will grab him next time.

Joey and I had a few cocktails, and the toddler and I headed to the pond. He is completely fluent in English, but when Joey comes, switches to Spanish as easily as flipping a switch on a TV. It is remarkable to me. The 8 month old well performed his task of being adorable, and the toddler hugged the enormous puppy. "Awwwwwws" from all present resulted.

Yesterday, Kenny and Joelle, always the fun couple, suggested we watch the Oscars together, and brought Indian food from Saffron in the Grove with them. I only saw one of the films up for the award, but their company was great, as usual. Joelle's brother, who we really dig, is putting together a trip for December: Buenos Aires, Mendoza, and Patagonia. Joelle is inviting anyone who wishes to tag along -- make your own plans -- here are great hotels where we'll be staying.

I've always wanted to visit Argentina, and think we'll be participating. The web page for the resort in Patagonia looks pretty terrific. And it's great beef and wine (and I'm sure, vodka). So it appears we'll be visiting our second South American country -- Colombia was first.

Speaking of Colombia, D1 and Joey and my consuegra Jacqui are taking the boys there in a few weeks. Jacqui's Mom has never met her great grandsons. The toddler is SO excited, about flying on "un avion" and meeting his "primas!"

We get to watch the ancient Spoiled Spaniel while they're away -- sweet girl, still going pretty strong for her age.

So -- back to depos to review. Law. Yuck. As our dear, late friend Elizabeth used to malaprop, I can only take it in small dosages.

No comments: