Friday, March 31, 2023

Day At The Races -- End of the Season

 So Paul's friend Lou, who has become my friend, LOVES the ponies. He's a retired snowbird who comes each year after T Day from Philly, rents a place near Gulfstream, and goes most days. I really don't much care for horses or gambling, but being around Lou you HAVE to enjoy it. He's so upbeat and happy, and loves to share his knowledge and enthusiasm with anyone around.

Typically, we would have a year end meet there -- our comptroller and my brother in law Dennis would meet us, for cocktails, Chinese food, and a day of gambling. We'd each put in money, usually $50 or $100, and share the proceeds. This year we got delayed on account of Covid, but Dennis made the trip from Wesley Chapel, where he and my sister decamped, and it was a delightful day. Plus -- we broke even!

I shared this information with my man Kenny, and he had a request: could he come next time? Some of his happiest childhood memories were of the track with his grandfather -- also a Philly guy -- and wanted to attend again. I met Kenny's grandparents, who lived near Gulfstream, in Hollywood -- they were great people.

Kenny told me one day, when he was about 12, he and his Pop pop (he was a Philly grandpa) went to the track in Delaware, and won $150!. His grandpa gave Kenny the money, which he used to buy a 10 speed bike, which he had until college. Ah -- memories. My paternal grandfather was long gone when I was born, and my maternal one died when I was about 4, so I lost out in the grandpa department. But I get to make it up from the other side -- with D1's wonderful boys.

Anyway -- we set up a new date, and it's today. I'll fetch Kenny, and we'll head to Gulfstream. Hallandale is near Golden Beach, where Clapton stayed when making one of my favorite records, 461 Ocean Boulevard, and so I've had the Sonos playing Clapton all am.

It occurred to me I'll be the minority in this diverse group of Ashkenazim. Paul and Lou are pure bred Philly guys, and Kenny is a half breed -- Mom from Philly; Dad a NY guy. So I called an audible -- thinking it would be a long shot of long shots. Would Dr. Barry consider actually consider playing hooky and joining us -- to even the field, so to speak, as he is the product of 2 NYC natives, like I am -- or at least Bridge and Tunnel NYC natives. Long shots sometimes come it -- he WOULD!

So after a meeting, he has promised to meet us for lunch as well -- so our group can be TRULY diverse: 2 Philly guys, Two NYC guys, and a half horse!

Am I excited about this afternoon with the fellows? I am. I'll have a couple of martinis early, so I can drive home afterwards, and who knows? Maybe life changing money awaits, for my $100 parimutual investment. Nah! But Christine Lee's best ribs in the city are a shoe-in!

Poor Kenny is stuck with me again tomorrow. He and Joelle became friends with their Chinese drywall lawyer, Skip, and his wife Shannon. Shannon happens to be our Pinecrest commissioner.

During the recent kerfuffle, I would always comment, in pure wiseassery, about the absurdity of the thing. It actually got me kicked off for a week by the Trumper-like pro people.

After we won our issue, Shannon emailed me to thank me for my commentary. I reminded her we have good mutual friends, and she suggested maybe the 3 couples have dinner. So tomorrow Shannon, Skip (I love his WASPY nickname, especially since he's Cuban) and Joelle and Kenny are coming here for a pregame, and then dinner at a tapas place nearby.

Skip is a vodka man like I am, and so I'll break open, literally, a bottle of Beluga vodka I was given. It comes with a wax seal and a little hammer you have to overcome to open -- total marketing gimmick. But I figure new friends are a good excuse to consume it -- I had one bottle in the past, and it was quite good -- maybe like Stoli Elit, my celebratory vodka.

But first, there is the business of gambling. Maybe Kenny and Barry's superior mathematical minds will help in our quest for profits. Who knows? But I have a feeling the day will be a banner one -- and then Lou will soon be back on 95, for his Spring and Summer in NE Philly. Hopefully there'll be more seasons at the track.

No comments: