Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Stuff Versus Charity

 So on our recent trip to KW, Wifey's BFF Edna brought up the issue of living well, with our many blessings of financial success. We're rich -- not private plane flying rich, at least for only a few  years -- but all of us in places where we don't worry about paying our bills.

The Canarsie Crew was making fun of me -- how I never want to buy anything for myself, and even when I had expensive watches, gave them to my sons in law. So Edna asked: if I won a lotto, or otherwise came into money where I had a BILLION dollars, what would I buy for myself?

I immediately started talking about charity, and moving my Ds and their families into paid off gorgeous houses -- but her inquiry was JUST ME. And I honestly couldn't answer -- there is no material possession I want. Finally I was let off the cross examining hook by saying that I guess I would lease Gulfstream jets and fly my Canes friends to away games -- paying all expenses at the best hotels in whatever city we were in. I guess a judge would have ruled that my answer wasn't truly responsive. 

This am I spoke to Mirta, my sister of another mister. She just had a birthday, and we're going to have a late dinner to celebrate this week. She told me she spent her birthday weekend inspired by me -- doing stuff for others. She helped a Mom struggling at the beach to put up an umbrella while corralling her kids. She was at DQ behind an obviously working class family -- and she stepped in to pay their bill -- $15.

She said the Mom hugged her -- their $15 meal obviously was more costly to them than Mirta, and Mirta felt so amazing. 

I told Mirta I surely hadn't come up with the concept, but I first thought about it while reading about a long dead Miami lawyer: Ellis Rubin. Every birthday, he would invite all comers to his office and give them free legal advice. He was a wacky and successful lawyer, and probably got some good cases out of his pro bono day, but still -- the thought resonated with me.

The Big Man gave us our lives, and to fail to celebrate our birthdays is a sign of ungratefulness to Him , according to my sage friend Rabbi Yossi. And to celebrate with charity -- well that might just go to another Rambam-like level -- though biblical scholarship is way above my pay grade.

Anyway, Paul is off to bury his best college friend, and today I will send a check from our firm to Friendship Circle, the organization founded by said Rabbi and mostly his wife Nechama -- which pairs special needs kids with other kids in a variety of wonderful activities. I think Frank would have appreciated the gesture.

I headed over to meet Juan, my trainer who is a frenemy. I love the guy, but hate the workouts. I skipped last week on account of Key West, and was NOT looking forward to resuming today. And alas, it was not to be -- Enrique met me and said poor Juan had a terribly allergy night -- eyes essentially swollen shut -- it's mango bloom season, and apparently it got to him. So no work out!

Enrique, the co-owner, said he never sees a client look so happy who drove to the gym only to learn his session had been canceled. Ah -- gotta go with the flow.

So I drove to Walgreens to pick up one of the several old man's prescriptions I take (cholesterol, prostate) and then had breakfast at Wagon's West.

On my way in, a homeless guy asked if I could help him out. I told him I would, when I exited. Sure enough, the fellow was there -- looked to be about my age, sunburned, with a Cuban Miami accent, but fluent in English. I handed him a $5 bill. His face lit up. "Now I can eat today -- I don't buy drugs like the other ones," he said, pointing across US 1 to the Busway where more homeless congregate.

I answered that what he did with the money was his business -- I just encountered a fellow man who asked for help, and I was easily able to give it. My breakfast cost twice what I gave him. "Ay, so you are a true man of G-d then," he said, pointing to the sky.

I said "Well, we should all try to do what the Big Man would like. Or Big Woman, as my wife says."

"Ay -- Big Woman scares me -- like I wife I had back in Santiago de Cuba who used to punch me!" We both laughed heartily, and I shook his hands, wishing him well.

And so it was a fine morning. I promised myself I would walk miles to make up for the missed workout -- somehow that hasn't yet happened on account of my laziness. But it shall, now, even though today is record hot for March 7 in Miami .

I read recently about a hipster Orthodox Rabbi, asked if he could update the famous Rabbi Hillel quote about the Torah. Hillel said that he could recite the entire Torah standing on one leg -- in other words, succinctly , and he essentially recited the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

The hipster Rabbi took the challenge, and said it comes down to this: "Don't be an asshole." Like many simple yet sage pieces of life advice -- that's very tough sometimes.

No comments: