Friday, December 23, 2022

Whose Streets These Are I Think I Know...They're All Owned By The Village, Though

 So as I read about awful winter conditions in much of the US, and a liklihood of a rare white Christmas in my ancestral home of Long Island, here it's a warm, drizzly Miami day. I began my constitutional in a bare mist, but alas the skies opened a bit, and I cut my route short in the London-like drizzle.

Still, the rain is apparently a front coming through -- the first real cold one of the year. Supposably as we say in Miami, temps will dip into the high 40s this weekend. Ah -- for me that means firepit weather.

I joke that my cheap Target firepit was one of my favorite possessions. But at the end of last chilly season, Wifey decreed it had to go -- on account of it was nearly rusted through, and looked more appropriate for Sanford and Son's junkyard than our lovely patio. So she bought another one, and it's sat in its box for months in the garage -- I need to overcome my lazy inertia, I guess, and bring it to its spot and maybe even gasp! assemble it.

I would have just kept the old one, but this is consistent with a talk I had with Mike at Fox's the other night. It seems to me as my male friends and I get older, we tend to like to keep things the way they are. The women? Exactly the opposite -- especially those who no longer work or have kids to mind. Many of them WANT A CHANGE -- not sure what -- BUT  A CHANGE! Mike says he's not sure Loni will even return from their vacation house in NC after New Year's -- so it's true in his house as well.

Meanwhile, Wifey is headed up to D1's today, to help watch the boys so D1 can get some stuff done. The little marshmallow man is sick with one of the many URIs going around -- affecting essentially everyone we know. D2 got it, too, from Jonathan, who picked it up in Atlanta.

Wifey's birthday lunch is Xmas -- this Sunday. Hopefully everyone is sufficiently recovered by then -- otherwise Wifey's birthday celebration will be delayed until further notice.

Her friends Maureen and Diane are taking her out to a movie Xmas Eve -- Diane celebrates Christmas, but is going full gringa and only doing the Christmas Day thing -- not Noche Buena like much of Miami.

I plan to watch football on Wifey Birthday Eve, and then hopefully make the trip to South Beach for her birthday lunch.

Keeping with the holiday spirit, Stu is hosting his firm luncheon today, and I'm attending. He's doing it at a new steakhouse I've been wanting to try --Dirty French. He's doing it at noon, which is truly breakfast time for him, but we can rally and have a few martinis despite the early hour.

Hopefully the rain clears. And we glide easily into 2023. For I have miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.



No comments: