Friday, December 30, 2022

Eating My Way Out of 2022

 So the Plague was great for my weight loss. Anxiety about having a newborn grandson with all the unknowns about Covid caused me to walk - a lot. I walked my hood 10 miles most days, and my appetite was limited. Turns out that D1, my Dietitian daughter, is right: eating much less and moving much more leads to weight loss. Who knew?

Well, I kept up with exercise and walking, though not nearly as much. Now most days I try to get to 7000 steps -- about 3 miles. And my appetite, now that I no longer fear awful things happening to BOTH grandsons -- has returned -- to college boy-like proportions. And now I really need to lose a good 50 lbs.

My annual doc visit showed, amazingly, good blood numbers and no high blood pressure. And my twice weekly workouts have kept me somewhat flexible and mobile. But I know the weight has to go -- I don't mind zaftig Dave, but don't want no athletic ability offensive lineman Dave.

So like the immediate world, I plan to start 2023 with more normal eating -- and not the carbs I so love via bread and pizza.

But, alas, the Fates conspired against me these final days of the year. Tuesday night, Barry and Donna came to Miami, on account of the cancellation of their boy Scott's flight, and we went heavy at Cafe Catula -- a local Spanish place.

We had plans for Joe's last night, via Norman's connection that turns the normal 2 hour wait for a table to 10 minutes. And then Eric called -- he and Dana decided to go to Key Largo for Eric's birthday -- would Wifey and I meet for lunch in South Miami on their way? Of course -- so that turned into Cafe Pastis for delicious French inspired sandwiches and pea soup.

And then last night we went HARD at Joe's -- eating jumbo claws and hash browns and creamed spinach and Hawaiian fried shrimp and bread pudding and key lime pie. Oh yeah -- they brought 2 very healthy Ketel martinis, as well.

We had an awesome time. A very large Black man sat next to us, with a very pretty wife and two nerdy looking friends -- one Spike Lee like, and the other an older gent with a beret. I asked the waiter who they were -- at first he said nothing, but after they left said it was Lennox Lewis and his beauty queen wife.

I have little doubt other celebs were there, too -- this is Joe's in December. We had a memorable night -- that will do it for me for another year or so, though.

Tomorrow Kenny and Joelle's son Adam is cooking for NYE. I'm bringing some nice wine and reinforcement of Stoli Elit. 

Since D2 and Jonathan are spending the night, there WILL be fresh bagels and lox on NY Day. And then -- new year, new Dave appetite wise.

The goal is to go from offensive lineman to linebacker, and then maybe normal sized 61 year old non athlete guy. We'll see.

Regardless, I ask the Big Man for a year of great health to those near and dear to me -- and just a little pain -- the kind you get in the belly from laughing too hard. And maybe that belly can shrink a bit.

No comments: