Friday, December 2, 2022

Stupid Or Lazy?

 Today I was asked by a lawyer friend about a mutual friend whether he was the stupidest or laziest practitioner I'd ever met? I thought before responding. If you're the stupidest -- not much you can do, but if you're the laziest, there's at least a potential for improvement. So I answered: Laziest!

And then it got me to thinking about lazy people I have known. There's a former member of our family, related by marriage, who used to win the dubious award. This guy worked, I think, a total of less than a year in his life. He always had new and creative excuses -- once even claiming he was fired from a construction crew because the foreman was jealous of how much more handsome he was. When I heard that, I doubled over -- imagining a hard had saying to his guys: "Yeah -- had to let go the guy who we had carrying the lumber. Damned if I have some handsome Dan doing that on MY site!"

Of course, in this stage of life, I am in the proverbial lazy glass house. I had free tickets, courtesy of FIU, to attend Art Basel events -- some that even came with great free food! Nah -- the thought of driving in traffic to the Beach, looking for parking, etc. sounded too daunting for my lazy tuches.

Fortunately, at least one of the events, something called Scope, will be attended by our family -- D2 took the tickets, and is going this weekend with Jonathan and some other friends. Now -- they can walk to it from their apartment on the Beach. Plus -- they're young, energetic, and not lazy.

Tomorrow, Kenny asked me to go watch USA soccer with him. I plan to overcome Saturday am inertia, and head to Titanic, find a table, and have morning beers, hopefully watching us beat the Dutch team. So that's contra-lazy, right?

Sunday the little men and their parents are due over. I canNOT be lazy around the nearly 3 year old -- he is nonstop energy. Joey and I will take him for a long walk -- and maybe a play session next door. The prior neighbors, seemingly running out of ways to spend money, built a municipal park-like playground for their kids. The current neighbors, who we like a lot more, now host it -- and our grandson loves it.

Next week I have several Zoom depos, so the inertia must be overcome. And we're in the middle of family celebration season. Oldest grandson turns 3 soon, and the following week it's Wifey's birthday. She has forbidden me from ever again publishing her age, or even making cutesy jokes about the number, like the fact that this year she can get her kicks on Route...

Meanwhile, as lazy as I am, I DID walk 4.7 miles today, and took a trip to the UPS store to send back some wrong sized water filters. That was a minor comedic thing -- I ordered number ones, and need number 3s. They cost about $50 each, so I was hell bent on getting an exchange, and KitchenAid put me through a Kafkaesque routine, with dropped calls, and failed call backs, before they finally sent me return information. It was supposed to include prepaid shipping, but the UPS guy said no -- cheapest was $13. That's ok -- at least the box of them is gone from my desk now.

So better lazy than stupid, I guess, even though it's pretty tough to fix the former after a certain age.

No comments: