Friday, December 9, 2022

Fat But Healthy

 So today I had my yearly, very thorough physical, from Dr. Mary, who is about to retire. Boy am I old -- TWO of my family practitioners are now retired.

For years, we had Dr. Dave, who we met when our girls were in preschool together. Dave joined MDVIP, a concierge practice, and was kind enough to waive the yearly fees for us, in exchange for legal work I would perform for him. Eight years ago, he retired and sold his practice to Dr. Mary, who moved here from Houston for the gig. She gave us a free year of the service, and we continued on as paying patients, but a few years back, Wifey, on a money saving kick, decided it wasn't worth the cost, and she left the practice. I firmly believe in the adage that you don't fix what ain't broke, and so I stayed on.

Now a young fellow is taking over, and I have to decide whether or not to stay. My alternative is to switch to Dr. Adam, a friend of D1's since Middle School, who now practices with his Dad in the Gables. I'll see.

Anyway, one of the things MDVIP does is an EXTENSIVE blood test, which the doc goes over with you yearly. It measures things like cholesterol particle size. My brother Eric says a lot of the stuff is bullshit -- or at best in the early stages. And sure enough, they lost one of the 8 tubes of blood I gave -- the one they used for the basic CBC. Dr. Mary expects it to be normal, as all of the more esoteric markers were all fine. Still, Nurse Nancy drew another vial.

Dr. Mary also did an extensive neuro exam, and they did a breath strength test, which showed I was above average. I told them the test was unfair, as lawyers are so full of hot air we have an advantage over civilians. Dr. Mary complimented my mobility, balance, and strength.

But, alas, I am fat. Porcine, corpulent, zaftig. I was down to near normal weight during the first year of the pandemic, on account of anxiety. I was fearful that the plague might take my family, including the newborn grandson. And so my appetite was diminished, and I walked. A lot. Many days I got in 15-20 miles.

Well, I still walk, but now more like 3-4 miles a day, and the appetite came back with a college boy-like vengeance. Dr. Mary suggested the obvious -- wait until January to work on it. My numbers are fine, and I AM working out, and, well, I AM going to consume mass quantities over the holidays, ranging from latkes to NYE feasts. But come January I figure I WILL go for the gold -- like countless other saps who diet in the new year. Why not?

One of the things your MDVIP tuition gets you is LOTS of time with the doc, and Dr. Mary and I chatted for quite awhile. She has worked since she was 15, and is a bit fearful of retirement. I tried to calm her fears, as a semi retired guy -- I am NEVER bored. Somehow the days still fly by.

Also, she has a lot of catching up to do. She has grandkids in Texas and around the South west, and she has avoided travel lest she get Covid. She wasn't afraid of the effects, but as a sole practitioner, didn't want to have to close her office for weeks if she tested positive. So now comes grandkid time!

Meanwhile, this upcoming weekend will not lend itself to weight loss. D2 called earlier -- she knows I have Friday Zoom, but wondered whether Wifey and I were free for dinner with her and Jonathan. I told her time with them trumps, pardon the expression, and Zoom cocktails, and so we're meeting them tonight in the Grove.

Tomorrow night we're having the aforementioned Dr. Dave and Maureen over for dinner. I plan to bring in Platea, Peruvian prime beef and ceviche, which we have done before. It'll be great to catch up with them.

Sunday night is dinner with Deb and Norman -- at the latest iteration of our beloved Redfish Grill. Some new chef took over , and the weather promises to be perfect for dining on Biscayne Bay, where the Cuban gentlemen sleep all day...

Yes -- there is a conspiracy to keep me fat. Last night I had a wonderful dinner with Mirta, my sister of another mister, at Bulla. We shared a paella. I brought one home for Wifey, who devoured hers as well.

Why does food have to be so delicious?????

So I'll keep moving, and starting January, eating less. Happy '23.

No comments: