Saturday, December 17, 2022

Well THAT Went By Fast

 Today is our grandson's third birthday! And boy did those three years fly by.

Coincidentally, I read an article in the Huff Post just this am about why time flies when we're old but seems to drag when we're young. The obvious answer is that a year to a 10 year old is a huge part of her life, while a year to an 80 year old is a fraction. But it goes further -- our brains process changes, and the older we are, the less new stuff we do or take on. So while my grandson, for example, might meet new friends in school weekly, and have soccer games, my routine is pretty stable -- so there are fewer "brain changes" for me.

I remember the day well, of course. D1 called about 3 am -- her water had broken, and her wonderful doc, Yasin, told her to rush over, since there had been some meconium. I called Dr. Barry, and left out the meconium part, and so he said we might well be in for a long slog -- but when he learned about the "distress," he bumped up to Defcon -- he would meet us at his hospital.

We saw D1, all fully pregnant and ready to go, and shortly afterwards Joey came out beaming -- telling Wifey and his parents that the baby and D1 were fine! I thanked the Big Man, of course.

I didn't realize they had changed stuff over the years -- and no more nursery. So we went to D1's room and met our grandson. He was so beautiful. My thoughts went back in time, to something I don't recall, but experienced: how my beloved Dad must have felt in July of 1961 when he was handed a much smaller newborn, me, for the first time.

Of course, Barry was there, making sure D1 got VIP treatment, and then one of his colleagues came in, a tall surfer dude looking fellow, and checked out the baby -- to Joey's horror. He thought the doc was rough with him -- but Barry explained newborns are much tougher than you think. Hell -- in ancient China, I told Joey, recalling a Bill Cosby routine, the baby gets born into the rice paddy and immediately starts picking rice along with the mother.

They were golden days -- still are. On Christmas Eve Day, the little man showed up at my consuegros' house for his Bris. Eric and Barry, recalling my previous experience with vaso-vagal response, stood behind me in case I went down. Ha. No problem at all -- I did my baby holding part well, though Ricardo was the Sendak -- the ceremonial holder of the baby during the Bris. I got that job for Jaco's baby brother a few years later.

So the little man went for a bike ride on his beloved Papa's bike, and we got photos of him by Biscayne Bay. To me, that means he is with the spirit of his greatgrandparents Hy and Sunny. Indeed his middle name is after my Dad.

He also got soccer practice, and then a chill day. Tomorrow we all gather at a soccer place in Aventura for his party. I have already acquitted my task: getting beer and water and wine for the parents.

The party takes place during the World Cup Final, which I can't care less about, but there will be some very excited South Americans, I have zero doubt. I assume they're pulling for Argentina over France. I have zero rooting interest.

Tomorrow is also the first night of Chanukah. Wifey and I will find some latkes somewhere, and turn on the electric menorah we've had for decades. Alas, it will finally be retired after this season -- the small bits of rust have now spread, and the poor thing looks like it's been on a ship at sea.

Next Sunday, is of course, a huge worldwide holiday -- celebrating the birth of a sacred person in Israel many years ago. Oh year -- it's Xmas, too.

As for us, we have Wifeymas, and per her request, D1 scored some reservations at Gianni, a restaurant at the former Versace mansion. We've never been there, and it's been on Wifey's list, and so we shall go.

I am positively, 100% prohibited from mentioning her age -- not even allowed to say that this year she can get her kicks on a certain road that runs from Chicago to LA.

 But first we have a grandson's birthday to celebrate! Willie Nelson noted how it's funny how time slips away. Indeed -- but for this moment, we celebrate the magical boy who has brought so much joy into our lives.

No comments: